Dilemmas

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RyanSR, Apr 3, 2002.

1. RyanSR

RyanSR Extra

Ugh...I really do not want to let this deal go, but I found and auctioneer in Europe who has a new Sony 40" plasma and will sell one to me for $1700 shipped. Now, this sounds way to0 good to be true. It probably is, but what if.... Aside from the obvious, is there an issue with these sets? Is there a sudden dumping of current generation HDTV sets in Europe?

2. Patrice Congard

Patrice Congard Auditioning

Living in Europe myself, I can tell you that $1700 is not the kind of price we can find for a 40"plasma. Typical street prices start form $8000 and above.

There must be something wrong, so be careful.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

It might not be HDTV. Many plasma sets have just 480 rows of pixels (or 576 for PAL).
    Also you are buying it sight unseen. I wouldn't get involved unless there is some way of escrowing or postpoining the payment until you actually get working merchandise.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. RyanSR

RyanSR Extra

Thanks for advice. The Sony model is PFM-510A2W, 42" 1024x1024. He said it is a US model. Does this differ from one that is offered in Europe. I see that it can accept both PAL and NTSC. I will look into the escrow thing. As I am unfamiliar with such procedures, can anyone point me to a company that provides such services and with whom you may have had a good experience? $1700 shipped via UPS...hmmm.