Dilemma on to buy a CRT RPTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Shriram, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Shriram

Shriram Auditioning

Hi all

I just bought a Hitachi 50V500 LCD RPTV. It is a nice looking set, and light. It does have the red cloud issue (red cloud in the middle of the screen on utter black backgrounds) but is otherwise fine. I am trying to see if the warranty (I bought is used) will get Hitachi to fix it (think its about 7-9 months from time of purchase). Things that are good about the TV are that it has a stand underneath so I can put my audio gear there, and its light so easy to move. The bad is it needs a tuner, and the red cloud issue (hope it wont get worse)

I have the oppty to get a Mitsubishi WS 55711 CRT RPTV at a good price (20-30% below 1k) and its in good shape, out of warranty but think CRT's are rock solid reliable. Advantages are more screeen size, 20%, integrated HDTV and a VGA connector. Disadvantages, no DVI and no HDMI, but has firewire and component inputs.

My usages are primarliy OTA TV and DVD's. (at some point potentially hook up my PC to it maybe). My question is should I get the Mitsu and sell the Hitachi (pro's/cons etc). Will try to fix the Hitachi in either case.

Thanks

Shriram

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

CRT sets need lots of tweaking to look their best ... high maintenance items. It won't be hd dvd compatible (perhaps further down the road although it is now).

Regards

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Though cheaper, CRT RPTV looks great, but at this time and opportunity now, it may not be the best choice. If the Hitachi is under warranty, then by all means have them address the red cloud issue. (I think it's called red push). The LCD RPTV that have HDMI, probably has a higher resolution capability than the Mits.

4. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

I love the look of a properly calibrated CRT RPTV, but I would not buy one again based on the advancements in the newer technologies.