Dilemma: Budget to buy 5.1 vs 2 speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed C, Sep 22, 2001.

1. Ed C

Ed C Stunt Coordinator

I have a limited budget for my speakers. I originally intended to buy a 5.1 setup consisting of:
    Monitor Audio Bronze 3 (front), Bronze 2 (rear) and Bronze Center. This would have cost approx CDN$1500 or US$1000.
    or
    Paradigm Monitor 7 (front), Mini-Monitor (rear) and CC-370 (center) for approx the same price as the Monitor Audio set.
    Today, I compared the Monitor 7 first with the Paradigm Studio/40 then the Studio/60 and Studio/80. The sound of the Studio line was head and shoulders above the Monitor line (IMHO). Given my budget, I would not be able to purchase a HT setup using the Studio line. Instead, given the same budget, I could buy a pair of Studio/60.
    I'm sure some of you have been in a similar experience. Please share your ideas on how I should proceed. Buy the 5.1 setup now then upgrade speakers later? (what do you do with your old speakers?) or buy the pair of Studio speakers and wait to purchase the rest of the system as funds become available.
    Thanks for your advice!

2. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

I had basically the same problem, get a set of Studio series, or get a full setup of a lesser model. In the end I went with Monitor 5's as fronts, Titan's as rears, and a CC-370 as my center. I realized that I'd be another 6 months saving up for the rest (out of extra pocket cash) and that it'd be in turn more expensive again, becuase I'd be buying to match a higher quality and thus more expensive speaker. But I'm sure others will see it differently.

3. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I built my system piece by piece because I really wanted the Studios. I am impatient, but I am so glad I did it that way, because in the end I got the system that I really wanted. I got the fronts first, then the rears, then the center channel, and finally, the sub.
    Of course, I am already itching to upgrade! ;-)

4. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

Never compramise on your front 3 speakers, if you can help it. I would say get the front 2 or 3 that you are really impressed with now, and get the surrounds and sub later when you have more $$.

5. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Is it safe to assume that HT use will be greater than music? I figure if music was greater, you wouldn't have even had to ask.
    Given a predominantly HT system, I personally would still go for the 2 higher quality mains first, then get the rest later. I would likely go for a sub as the next choice after the mains, because the low freqs can really bring you into a movie, plus it covers a freq range that no other channel can support adequately for HT (assuming your choices above and a decent sub). If you happen to have a sub already, then you're that much closer to nirvana.
    ------------------
    "Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

6. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

With Paradigm as the speaker of choice, I would recommend one of the following options:
    1. Studio/20 mains, Studio/CC centre and Mini Monitors rears. Meets your budget of around CDN$1500. But this system definately needs a sub....if you don't have one, say a Sony SAWM40 for CDN$250 street. If you got budget available, may upgrade Studio/20 to Studio/40.
    2. Studio/40 mains, Studio/CC centre and Paradigm Atoms rears. Probably a bit more than Option #1, but it's close. Needs a sub as in Option #1. May substitute Studio/20 for Studio/40 to save money.
    3. Studio/60 mains. Add sub (it is still needed for HT, music is fine without one) and remaining speakers later.
    If HT is a big priority now...then I would suggest Option #1 or #2. IMO, I think that Studio/20 offer excellent value as compared with the other Studio speakers. For the past few years, I have had the Studio/60 V.1 mains, CC-450 centre and Studio/20 V.1 rears. I don't think that I would lose too much with the Studio/20 as mains (especially if you have the low end covered by a good performing sub). In fact, for 2 channel music, I like the Studio/20 a bit more than the Studio/60. I haven't tried the Studio/40, but it is very well regarded by many.
    Dave

7. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

In my case I initially didn't have all the cash needed for my desired 5 speaker system, so I purchased them over six months. Personally, I don't believe in using bookshelfs and sub for music, and so wanted full-range fronts. Had I gone Paradigm Reference (as my original plan), I would have gotten the 60s for fronts and the 20s for rears. However, after listening I prefered the Mordaunt Short line, and got the 906 fronts, then a couple of months later the 504 centre, then the 902 rears after that. I'm glad I paced my upgrade, as I would have been forced to compromise had I purchased everything in one go. I still don't have a sub though - I'll give my credit card a break [​IMG] and wait another few months for that purchase!

8. Ed C

Ed C Stunt Coordinator

Great suggestions everybody.
    Based on my listening preference (70% music, 30% HT), I'm inclined to buy the better mains now and then purchase the rest of the HT setup later. Since I'm in an appartment right now, I may leave the sub purchase until I move into a house.
    Thanks again.
    Ed