Dilema...Which Paradigms for a dedicated HT?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary_Sc, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Gary_Sc

Gary_Sc Agent

I am looking to replace my current Atlantic Tech 220 speakers. The room is a dedicated theater (15x25) in my basement. The speakers will be used 100% for HT.

Why I'm upgrading...The AT 220's simply can't play loud enough. When I turn them up to the level I want the sound is very harsh.

I was originally looking at the Paradigm Monitor 5 and CC370. I liked the sound of the 5's but did not like the CC370. It just seemed to be missing something. After all the rave reviews on the Studio CC I auditioned one and it sounded much better than the CC370. I also compared the Monitor 5 v2 to the Studio 40. The Studio 40 did sound better but I'm not sure if it was that much better.

Now my dilema. Since I don't really listen to music I'm having a hard time auditioning speakers. I don't have any point of reference.

What demo material should I be using? Will the Studio 40's be that much better in a dedicated HT environment? Can the Studio CC match with the Monitor 5's?

Lastly, are there any PSB speakers that would be a better choice for HT keeping in mind that I really like the sound of the Paradigms?

Thanks.
    Gary

2. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

All I'll say is I just purchased 4 studio 40's and a CC centre for a dedicated room and well AWESOME is the only word to describe it!

You probably don't really need 40's in the rear, but I figured for multi-channel music I would rather the 40's in the rear.

P.S. They are HEAVY buggers

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

The cc-370 is basically a Monitor 5 turned on its side. Listen to both and decide which you like better. Take movies that you are familiar with and have a wide range of sounds to help determine their ability.

Don't mix a Studio CC speaker with Monitor speakers. The fron 3 should all be matched to get an equal soundstage.

4. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Gary..

Something to consider. The ver. 3 edition of the Paradigm Monitor line has an upgraded tweeter which may be a closer match to the Reference CC. It may not be the same tweeter, but you may be able to use that Studio CC with the monitor line due to this upgrade.

The solution of course is to purchase the Studio 40's in conjuntion with the Studio CC.

If this does not fit your budget, then purchase the Monitors, buy the Studio CC on the condition that you can return it if you are not happy with the results.

I have a CC350 in my collection of Paradigm speakers. If you were closer, I'd let you borrow it to hear the difference between the CC350-370/Studio CC. IMHO, there is a very noticeable difference.

I have 100's, 20's, Ref. CC in one system and Studio 40's and a PDR-10 in another. I'd suggest the Studio series if it fits your budget.

Good luck..

5. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

Gary,

I was there! In fact just last week. I had bought some Monitor 11's with the CC-370. I liked the Monitor 11's a lot but the CC-370 did'nt quite do it for me. I went to my local Paradigm dealer to audition the Studio CC thinking that I would try to match it to my Monitor 11's. The Sales guy working there said that it would be a less than ideal solution. Just for the heck of it I asked to audition the Studio 60's.

In short, I decided to trade in my CC-370 AND my Monitor 11's for the Studio 60's and Studio CC. So far I am very happy with my decision. Of course the Studio's cost about $400 more but I believe it was worth it. If you can stretch your budget and upgrade to the Studio line I don't think you will be disappointed.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If your dealer has a trade up policy, as many Paradigm dealers do, get the 5s and the Studio CC, then trade the 5s in for some 40s later. I have V2 5s and I am very happy with them for music and HT. While I like the Studio line very much, when I upgrade, it most likely won't be to them (though I will be very curious to hear the V3s). I just saw the V3 Monitor 5s the other day, but didn't have time to listen to them. They are bi-ampable...

I have heard the new tweeter design for the V3 Monitor line via some Minis. The V3s are noticably improved in midrange as well as an improvement spaciousness thanks to the new tweeter design, but they do not sound more like the current Studio line, IMO. I have yet to hear a V3 CC370 though, and I am hoping it will be improved as much as the Minis are.

I have to agree that if you like the sound of the Studio CC, your best bet will be to go with the 40s also.

7. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

John, what is it that you don't like about the CC-370?
    I am curious because I own the CC-370 and Mini Monitors up front and think that the CC-370 performs well. The Paradigms were an upgrade from Bose, so I know that anything will sound like a big improvment, but I don't think the CC-370 has any major problems. Then again, I can't afford the Studio speakers. If I could I would definately get them.

8. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

If you are considering the trade up policy with 5's going to 40's later, consider this as well. The Studio V3 series is coming soon, and there is 'supposed' to be an extreme increase in price for the 40's. Of course, they have not been released, and pricing isn't known, but this is the current rumour.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree with Daryl. The price jump for the V3 Monitor line isn't that significant, however, it would not surprise me if the increase is greater for the Studio line.

10. Gary_Sc

Gary_Sc Agent

Thanks for all the input. I would like to get the Studios but I can only swing it if I make a trip to Canada and then only if I can get a 20% discount plus the exchange rate. From the research I have done this is doable but I'm worried about the warranty. I assume that the warranty would only be honored in Canada. Is this correct?

11. Gary_Sc

Gary_Sc Agent

One last thing...Would a pair of Studio 20's be too small for this room?

12. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Gary,

The warranty would only be valid in Canada after reading many of the posts on this site. I cannot speak from personal experience. However, I've owned Paradigm products for a long period of time and never had any problems.

Purchasing speakers in Canada depends on your comfort level. If you decide to go that route, there are quite a few threads on here about making the drive and where to go.

To answer your question about the Studio 20's being to small, I can only write that I had them in a 16 x 20 room as fronts and never had a problem with volume and ability to fill the room.

However, as I am sure you know, you will need to purchase a sub woofer too. The other item to consider is you will need stands for the 20's or the 40's unless you have something to place them on.

I am not trying to add more $$$'s to your plan, just being realistic. However, "Rome was not built in a day." It took me a long time to get some of my components in place. It's always a work in process.

13. Barry BB

Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

The studio line shines with music. But for HT I think that you would be hard pressed to hear a big difference between the studios and the monitor line. In my opinion if your set up is going to be used 100% for HT then the studio line is more speaker than you need. In fact the monitor 5's may be more than you need. You might want to consider 4 mini monitors for a strictly HT set up.

The studio center is a better speaker than the CC-370. But if you feel that you like the studio center then you will have to stay with the studio line for your speakers. In that case studio 20's should be fine. I have them in a 22 X 14 room and they sound fine.

If you want to look at PSB then anything in the image line will be what I recommend.

14. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

Here's how I feel about the CC-370...I upgraded from an Energy AC-300 which is a very nice CC. I felt that the CC-370 sounded a bit more boxy than my old CC. I also thought that it sounded a little thin at higher volumes. That's just my opinion and there are many people out there that feel differently. I believe that the Studio CC is a pretty major step up from the 370.

15. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Gary, I sent you an email.

Aaron