Dilema - which 46" RPTV to choose

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bryan_withay, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Bryan_withay

Bryan_withay Auditioning

I'm finally going to venture into my first HT after I complete renovations to the rec room. I've been looking at 46" RPTV's as we will be viewing about 8' from the screen. I've looked at all there is in this size range, Hitachi, JVC, Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, Samsung ... From what I have viewed it is a toss up between the Toshiba 46HX83 and the Sony KP46WT510.

There are pluses and minuses for both screens. The Toshiba is available at more "knowledgeable shops", meaning I can get it properly calibrated. I love the black framing of the Toshiba screen. However, I have seen one Toshiba with the white line running down the middle of the screen and I have heard people question Toshibas QC. The few Sonys that I have seen looked great right out of the box. The wife (she who must be obeyed) says to get the Sony. Locally the Sony is only available at the box stores, Future Shop and Best Buy. You ask the sales droids there about calibration and they either look at you with a blank stare or they say that calibration is automatic, "you just press a button".

Right now I have Bell ExpressVu and will be upgrading to the HDTV version though most TV for the near future will be standard digital. We do watch DVD movies every weekend.

Any comments or experiences with either set would be appreciated. By the way, Merry Christmas everyone!

2. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the same boat. The deals on these guys are truly amazing right now, if you consider TVs like this went for $3500 a year-two ago but are currently in the $1500-range!

Also to consider, what's the best DVD player to use with one of these guys? (in the $200-300 range).

3. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

the toshiba suffers heavily from red-push i have heard....not sure if the sony does too, but i love the way the toshiba looks.

i will get one of these two sets.

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I don't know if this indicates any sort of production 'fix', but on the last few Cinema Series models that have come in (and I've calibrated), I have not seen the white line. Certainly can't guarantee it won't be there though.

'Red push' is a minor issue, but is easy to fix if you know your stuff (or ask the right questions of someone who does [​IMG])

5. KevinFC

KevinFC Stunt Coordinator

Bryan and Jeff,

I have the 48wp74 JVC and Onkyo dvd player. The JVC upconverts its signal to 1080i. My cable and dvd's both look great on this rptv. I sit about 8-9' feet away and I love the picture.

6. BrianLa

BrianLa Auditioning

Could someone elaborate further on the Toshiba 'white line'? I recently purchased one, and earlier today while watching a hockey game, I noticed a faint vertical line near the center of the screen. I think it is most apparent during movement on a white background, hence my noticing it during hockey. Is this an inherent problem with Toshiba's, or possibly a defective set? I am within my 30 days if someone thinks I should exchange it.

thanks
    Brian

7. BrianLa

BrianLa Auditioning

Okay, I should've poked around the forum before posting my previous message. From what I gather this vertical ghost line is a common Toshiba thing. I found it funny that 90% of the mentions also said they saw it during hockey. I guess if its not a problem with my particular set then exchanging it isn't worth it? Its a sucky problem, but I think I can live with it. Which test pattern on Video Essentials would I most be able to detect it?