What's new

Dilema: Sell the old school for good lookers? (1 Viewer)

Josh Mc

Grip
Hey All,

I am in a major dilema right now and need all of your help.

My wife and I are in the process of building a new house and I am starting the planning for the home theater system in our new family room. I am the current owner of and old (7 years) set of Infinity Reference speakers (2 towers, 2 bookshelf, center, and 8" sub). My dilema is this: we would like a smaller satellite system to be more eye pleasing in the new space. Would the quality of todays cheaper (around $500) satellite systems be equal in quality to the older system? We need new wall mounted speakers for the front, but should I fight to hold onto the old stuff for 7.1 surround purposes?

The second part of my question is, if I do sell the Infinity's, what satellite systems should I be looking at in the $500 range?

Thanks All.

Josh

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
If your budget is $500 you are in the wrong hobby. ANY satellite system would be a downgrade compared to what you have now.

Seriously, increase you budget by several thousand and go for some really nice in-walls. In the mean-time, keep your current system.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
First, 7 years old in speakers is the same as bought them 45 minuites ago. Technology in the past 7 years means zero.

Second, going from bigger speakers to smaller ones will more than likely be a dissapointment unless you spend WELL over a thousand bucks (excluding the subwoofer)

Also, define satellite speaker. Are you taking about this size:

http://mksound.com/thx_sys.php#750 (with a proper sub, these DO sound amazing. I sell them)

or

http://jbl.com/home/products/product...at=SCS&ser=SCS (these are great speakers for $300, but a joke compared to what you now own and use)

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Josh Mc: Spend your $500 on a PB10-ISD subwoofer from SVS. That will improve your system.
There's no point in buying cheap speakers that will downgrade your sound from what it is now.

And the 7 year age of your speakers means nothing, good sounding speakers
are good sounding speakers.

Josh Mc

Grip
Thanks for the help guys.

I have to apologize, I have been living in an apartment and out of the home theater loop for a few years. My original hope was that the technology had progressed enough that satellite systems like the JBL system above would sound as good as my old speakers.

Now you have me leaning toward my original idea of using my current speakers for side and rear, and buying two new speakers for the front. Would I want to stick with Infinity's for this, or could I go with another brand? I would like to go with in-wall or wall mounted due to the fact that we're going to have a wall mounted plasma. Would I be better off using the towers for the sides or the rears?

This system will be run by either a Pioneer VSX-815 or a 1015.

Thanks again for the help.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Absolutly no apology needed!!! We are just making super sure you don't dump a nice system for a inferior one.

Your receiver choice is awesome, so if you like the Pioneer's, by all means get one.

If you will keep your center/surrounds, I would get a pair of Infinity bookshelf speakers (instead of another brand)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks