What's new

Digitized Video on Computers (1 Viewer)

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
When they have shows on television that are on video (like the news, reality shows and sports) and they have copies of the show online, they most of the time, digitize the picture to where it looks like film and loses the life-like videotape look.

Is there a freeware app that can change the look of the picture to look like video again (reverse the process)?

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
TV shows that are videotaped have a different look than the ones that are filmed. Shows that are videotaped are ones like you see on sports,news and game shows. When those shows are put on an online site they digitize it to where it looks like film.

I was asking if there is an app on the computer that can convert the picture back to a video look.

billwill.julz

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Will
TV shows that are videotaped have a different look than the ones that are filmed. Shows that are videotaped are ones like you see on sports,news and game shows. When those shows are put on an online site they digitize it to where it looks like film.

I was asking if there is an app on the computer that can convert the picture back to a video look.
Are you referring to the frame rate?
News/sports etc. shot on video cameras and tape cameras are typically 30fps while film cameras and digital cameras meant to shoot movies are shot at 24fps.
I would guess that during the digitization process of the videos or tapes that you refer to, upmost importance is made to not change frame rate or any aspect of the video.
With that being said, there is software that can change frame rate by removing or adding frames. The process may not go as smoothly as it seems and may not yield good results and I wouldn’t see why you would want to do that in the first place.
try Handbrake. Also just google free video conversion software. Most will give you the choice between 24 or 30 FPS when converting.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
If the digitization process to which you refer is dropping frames, making the motion choppy, there is no software that is going to recover those lost frames.

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
I want to change the picture back to a video look (or keep it at a video look) because video looks more live while a digitized filmic look is flat by comparison.
It pains me when I want to keep a show I missed on TV that was originally on video and they have a copy of it online but they go and digitize it.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Surely you're not talking about new TV shows, newscasts and sporting events, because nothing is shot on videotape anymore. It's all shot digital to begin with and therefore is not "digitized" for online streaming. It may be overly compressed, though. As for videotaped shows like 1970s sitcoms and game shows, when I stream them on Prime, Netflix or iTunes, they are perfectly replicated with a smooth 30fps and look just as good as they ever did.

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
Still ,these days,newscasts ,game shows and sports have a videotaped
look to it. I don't know what the digital taping of it is but they all have a videotaped look to them that turns into a filmic look when those events/shows are streamed online.
Sometimes they don't compress them and they keep their videotaped look --but many times they do compress them to where it looks filmic.
Someone on the TV on DVD forum was also complaining that some originally videotaped shows (like Laugh-in) have a filmic look to them on the DVDs because they tinkered with the image.
I wanted to know what I can do with any online apps that can reverse the compressed image to where it has that videotaped look again. Is it reversable?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wanted to know what I can do with any online apps that can reverse the compressed image to where it has that videotaped look again. Is it reversable?
No, it isn't. What I suspect your are calling "filmic" has nothing (obviously) to do with film. It's most likely just that the resolution has been reduced and/or heavy compression applied. Those things can't be reversed or undone.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
If there is damage to the picture, e.g., from excessive compression, it generally is not reversible. You can try to play games to cover it up, but they only get you so far.

Also, "filmic" is not a synonym for "low quality". TV shows and movies shot on analog film generally have higher resolution than TV shows and movies shot on NTSC and PAL equipment – even if said equipment saves video in a digital format such as DV ("MiniDV", "Digital8") or MPEG-2 ("DVD-Video").

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Still ,these days,newscasts ,game shows and sports have a videotaped
look to it. I don't know what the digital taping of it is but they all have a videotaped look to them that turns into a filmic look when those events/shows are streamed online.
Sometimes they don't compress them and they keep their videotaped look --but many times they do compress them to where it looks filmic.
Someone on the TV on DVD forum was also complaining that some originally videotaped shows (like Laugh-in) have a filmic look to them on the DVDs because they tinkered with the image.
Almost all TVs have some kind of frame interpolation mode. They go by different names on different brands, but turning it on should make everything look like it was shot on tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks