What's new

Digitial Cable on a RPTV. How good (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Currently I'm running analog, but my local cable company(Cogeco) is offering Digital cable for the same price as I'm paying right now. Since the wife doesn't want Sat, guess cable is the only way for now. Just curious how others feels about it. Thanks

Kevin

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
In most cases IMHO and I love digital formats. If it was me I would keep your analog cable. I have not to this day seen a inpressive digital cable picture! Why would your wife not want a SAT dish? Is she aware that the are not as big and ugly as they used to be? IMHO the 18" digital dishes outperform digital cable and offer more channels. And if you where to move you can take your dish with you and have your service back up in around 1 hour instead of waiting for your cable company to show up. I have Dish Network and my brother has Direct TV and we are both very happy with both of them. Anyway that is my recomendation. If you know anyone that has a dish on a nice tv? I would take your wife there and have it arranged to watch a movie off the dish. That way your wife can see how nice it is.

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
I had "digital"cable for a few months an couple of years ago,maybe iy was just my set up,but when run through a
JVC RX804 AV receiver,all the sound was boomy,and just didnt sound right?Cable told me it was to to compression?I dont know,just got rid of it and got Dish network,and since it now has local channels,I like it even more.Lots O f PPV are in letterbox 5.1 .And My 56 JVC gives a very nice pic on all the channels,but seems better on PPV?dont know why.
anyway...........dump the cable ....get satellite:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Kev:

My understanding is that the compression on Digial TV is so high that it pretty much nullifies any inherent advantage it would usually have.

I THINK they stuff the channels down into a 2 or 2.5 Mbps bandwidth (just a guess) so that you don't get high quality sound or picture quality.

I'd stick with analog if you have more than 4 TVs. If not, I might consider satellite -- only disadvantage I can see to satellite is the difficulty you would have hooking up more than 2 TVs to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks