What's new

Digitally inserting ads into old films (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Colorization and product placement are two of the most pernicious elements of film and television. A company called Mirriad is now pioneering the technology to combine the digital alteration of films with product-placement advertising. Using CGI, they insert ads into existing films.

Apparently, this is already being used in television reruns, though I was not aware of the practice. As most of my movie and television watching is via DVD or Blu-ray, I am not personally affected by this, but I do find it troubling that there isn't more of a widespread objection to either the alteration of films or product placement in general.

Business Insider had an article on the subject, including a hilarious (and very adult-oriented) clip from The Colbert Report: http://www.businessinsider.com/stephen-colbert-mocks-mirriad-2014-1

Stan

Senior HTF Member
That is sad.

There is already such blatant product placement in current films and television shows that it really takes you out of "the moment". It backfires with people like me. I specifically don't buy products that are being used in that way. Just grabbing a can of cola, drinking it like normal, I don't mind, but when the actors have to hold it a special way, making sure the label is readable and placed in the perfect position, they've lost me as a customer.

Now using CGI to adulterate older movies is even more pathetic.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll slightly defend product placement because the real world is lousy with products & corporate logos so, within reason, I don't see a major problem with a TV show reflecting that. Plus, there's the upside that some of that product placement money is going to the show's budget and hopefully being used in a way that will creatively benefit the show. That being said, adding product placement to older shows or movies is an utterly disgusting commercial with the only benefit being to give more money to a monstrously greedy corporation that would sell their mothers if there was a cent to be made from it.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I partially agree with you, Travis. But I've seen too many instances of blatant product placement that really does interfere with my enjoyment of a show. Under the Dome was conspicuously filled with Microsoft tablet computers. And everyone suddenly having purchased iPhones between the last two season of Dexter was silly (though admittedly it was the least of that show's problems).

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I wonder how far they will take this. Will we see Lucy and Ricky eating Cheerios and drinking Folger's coffee in a breakfast scene?

Colbert's bit was great.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
cafink said:
I partially agree with you, Travis. But I've seen too many instances of blatant product placement that really does interfere with my enjoyment of a show. Under the Dome was conspicuously filled with Microsoft tablet computers. And everyone suddenly having purchased iPhones between the last two season of Dexter was silly (though admittedly it was the least of that show's problems).
Yeah, instances where they take time to show the product or logo is awful. I'm talking more along the lines of if a character is drinking a beer, I'd prefer to see (but not focus on) a company's logo over something cheap and fake looking like having BEER written on the can.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
cafink said:
That's funny cafink. I hate product placement, but never once noticed Microsoft tablets in "Under the Dome". Maybe certain things just catch our eyes and others don't.
If they were pushing Microsoft tablets, must have been very subtle, because it passed right over me. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks