What's new

Digital vs Analog Receiver (1 Viewer)

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
I was at the Circuit City yesterday looking for some sale items. They have the HK525s on their floor and 7200 on their website. I was talking with their sales rep. and he said 7200 may get withdrawn and newer model may come in soon. Basically suggested their price could drop.
He also said that HKs 630 is a digital reciever and they are good and similarly priced as 7200.

Now I am Confused :frowning:

What is a digital reciever? Should I go for a digital reciever now? I tried looking at the forum's HT Beginners primer. But could not get much understanding about the digital receivers. Can some one enlighten me.
If I stick with 7200 and go with it, will I be missing something down the lane for not buying a digital receiver?
I am atleast not planning to change the receiver for several years. ;) :D

Thanks
Kumar.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
As far as I know the only digital reciever HK makes is the DPR 1001, and I read nothing on the new x30 line to be fully digital. Basically I don't think the guy knows what he is talking about.

The main difference between a digital reciever and an analog reciever is the size difference. The DPR1001 from HK is about half the size of there other recievers for people with limited space, and the information stays all digital until it has to leave the recievers.

The difference I think is none, it's just a new technology...

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
The digital there refers the the amps. Digital amp technology is just taking off now. The benefits are extremly small size and low heat. Almost all HTIB and DVD/receiver combos use digital amps now to keep the size down. I don't know the exact technology, but digitally switched amps keep the digital path through the amplifaction stage until right before the sound goes to the speakers. There is still debate about the quality of digital amps.

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
Ah! That helps.

I will post more on a different thread regarding my HK7200 setups and things like that.

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, Yes I am not going to buy it from Circuit City. I went there to demo HK since I did not find any other store in my area where I could. :)

Hope the rep is not reading it ;)

PaulKoss

Agent

Another advantage is low power consumption. Big power standard amps can suck up a kilowatt every hour. Really puts dollars on the old electricity bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks