Digital vs Analog cable

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randy_M, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Our local cable company is hawking Digital Cable (of course, for extra $$$). Now, I know that this is not an HD signal, but in light of my recent purchase of a Toshiba 50H81 (to be delivered in a couple weeks), should I pursue making the switch?
    I've read the several threads about regular cable not looking so hot on HD sets, and am wondering if the digital would be better.
    Thanks

2. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

I called my local cable company (comcast), the other day with the same concerns. The guy said the pic quality was better. He also said it wasn't "really" digital cable. He was reluctant to say that because as a comcast employee, he was not supposed to elude to digital cable not really being digital. The prices went from 65-75 bucks. I am paying 10 right now. He said since the connection isn't 100% digital, I would never be able to get HDTV or 5.1. The main advantage is that you get many more stations because they can cram more programming on the "digital" feed. For me this is a no brainer - NO WAY. I will get satalite before this.
    Stefan Antwarg

3. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I agree. I currently have AOL/TW Digital Cable and don't really see the benefit. I think the programming stuff is kind of neat but useless to me since I use a ReplayTV. I'm taking both my digital cable boxes back for analog ones.

4. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Thanks, guys for the replies...the guy at Best Buy (unfortunately, the only place I could find in my area to buy the Toshiba) told be "You really should have a digital signal because this is a digital TV" Sounded like fiction to me.
    If I hadn't had a 10% off coupon and free financing for a year and a half, I would have walked.
    Anyhow, at our State Fair that starts this week, there is a Technology building where all the cable and sattelite companies have booths. Maybe in person, I'll be able to sort out the bullshit and come to an understanding...
    Cheers

5. Michael St. Clair

A non-HDTV 'digital cable' box is just as digital as a non-HDTV 'dbs satellite' box.
    Digital cable and DBS satellite both look like ass compared to good analog cable or OTA or C-Band.
    I agree it isn't worth upgrading to digital cable for picture quality, only if you need some of the digital-tier channels. I originally went to digital cable because it was the only way (other than DBS, and I lived under a tree canopy blocking the south) I could get SpeedVision.

6. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

I have ATT digital cable and it's not bad. Some of the channels are great and some don't. They gave me a free in home trial and you may want to consider this if it's available. Dish and DirecTV and digital cable all seem to be location dependant. People have good and bad experiences with all of these source across the country.
    BTW my cable is digital but that's only the channels broadcast that way. The analog channels are still analog. Also don't confuse a digital signal with HDTV they are different. HDTV is broadcast digitally but a digital signal does not have to be Hi-Def.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I have both. My main system receives AT&T's "digital" cable feed, while the bedroom gets AT&T's analog cable feed. Even on the smaller set--a Toshiba--the analog signal looks better. Further, many of the channels that are stereo on the analog feed are in mono on the so-called "digital" feed. In addition to a softer, more washed-out picture, the "digital" signal has a very sluggish response via the remote.
    If you live in an area with clear enough sightlines, go for DBS. The "digital" cable thing is a gimmick. (And I hate AT&T's commercials for "digital" cable--I'd go satellite in a heartbeat if the southern sky weren't obscured when I live--and not for additional channels, but for a better picture and sound.)
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

8. Andriy Zolotoiy

Jack, most likely that your set-top box adds some degradation into TV signal since analog channels are still analog despite you are watching them in bedroom or living room. Mono and stereo issue sounds like configuration problem in your set-top box. If you have GI box, default sound setting is TV (mono). I can't remember exactly it's alled. Try to dig into config menu.
    ------------------
    Andriy Zolotoiy
    My HT: http://members.home.net/azolotoiy