Digital vs Analog Audio From DVD Player, One Better?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick G, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

I am putting together a little sound system for the bedroom and I need to choose between a regular stereo receiver and an a/v receiver with DD5.1 and DTS decoding. I will from time to time play DVDs (including music concert DVDs) on it but probably will not have more than just two speakers. The question is whether or not when using the same DVD, the audio quality is higher using decoded DD or DTS rather than using the stereo analog outputs from the DVD player. I am resonably sure the digital will be audibly superior, but I would like confirmation. The receivers in question are the Denon DR295 stereo receiver vs the Denon 1602 AV receiver, with the DR295 being $150 less than the 1602. The DVD player is a Panasonic RV 31. Thanks.

Regards, Nick

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

What I hear on this forum is that digital isn't automatically better or worse than analog... it depends on the relative quality of the circuits in the player and the receiver.

In other words, analog in many cases will be just fine.

(I don't know anything specific about your player, though.)

If I were you, I wouldn't spend anything extra to get a digital input in the receiver if I didn't need the other features. After all, SACD and DVD-Audio players use analog to connect to the receiver.

3. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I think Marc is right and wrong in his response:

CDs and DVDs store content digitally. To make the sound come out of speakers, the digital content needs to be converted to analog so that the amplifier can, well, amplify the signal. This is done by the digital to analog converter (i.e. the DAC).

If you run a digital (coax or optical) cable from your player to your receiver, then you're passing the digital signal to your receiver and relying on the receiver's DAC. If you run an analog cable, then you're using the player's DAC.

There's nothing inherently superior about analog cable vs. digital cable, but DAC quality varies considerably. I could be wrong, but I suspect that the Denon DAC in the 1602 would be superior to the Panny DAC, so I would use a digital cable with that setup. When I tested my setup this way, the digital cable was far superior to my novice ears. The Denon 295 only has analog inputs so it doesn't have a DAC so you would be relying on your player's DAC.

With the stereo receiver, you will get minimally processed stereo sound from the analog output of your DVD player. Many audiophiles (I'm not an audiophile) prefer this. You will miss out on any DD or DTS effects encoded in your source material, but I'm not sure how much you would get with 2 speakers anyway. If you're sticking with 2 speakers, I would go with the stereo receiver and spend some of the $150 savings on a higher quality DVD player with a better DAC.