What's new

Digital Volume Control (1 Viewer)

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
Here's the problem: I have two Roland DS90 Powered Monitor Speakers. They have an Optical Digital input and can be set for Stereo. ( L- R ) I'm running my JVC 5 Disc Player's Optical Out to these Speakers. Man, do they sound great! But, the only way to control the Volume is with the control on the back of each speaker. That is a pain. Is there any device out there that could go between the player and the feed to the Speakers and control the Volume?

I know these are meant for a Studio and Speaker modleing but they cost over $400.00 each and really sound good! I'd like to keep using them for regular Stereo use.

Thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You need a preamp. You are not supposed to feed signal directly from a source to these speakers. What's the budget?

Nothing wrong with using these speakers at home really. I met a guy who was using some powered Mackies and they sounded great.

JamesCB

Second Unit
Yep, you need a pre-amp or a CD player with a variable output (A volume control).

Although, I'm not too sure the optical out would be controlled by the CD player level. I beleive optical is fixed.

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, that's the problem. No way to control Volume with digital connection using the digital out from my CD Player.

Even if I got a preamp that accepted Optical, it would convert to analog for standard Speakers, right?

Seems like there should be a way.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks