What's new

Digital Video vs. Filmed Entertainment on Today's TVs (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm sure that any film or TV show that has been shot digitally, which would be just about everything these days, will look spectacular on today's newer LED TVs but what about filmed entertainment? I'm in the market for a TV and will be transitioning from a Plasma set so I need to make a good choice and would appreciate some advice. I'm willing to invest up to $2,000 for an OLED if that's what's supposed to be the best format but how do older movies shot on film stack up on these new TVs? Any advice for a good non-OLED set? Thanks.

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
I'm sure that any film or TV show that has been shot digitally, which would be just about everything these days, will look spectacular on today's newer LED TVs but what about filmed entertainment? I'm in the market for a TV and will be transitioning from a Plasma set so I need to make a good choice and would appreciate some advice. I'm willing to invest up to $2,000 for an OLED if that's what's supposed to be the best format but how do older movies shot on film stack up on these new TVs? Any advice for a good non-OLED set? Thanks.
There are still plenty of major motion pictures shot on film these days, 'Star Wars: Episode VII' is a fitting example. All major motion pictures shot on film are converted to high bitrate, high resolution, digital files for DI (digital intermediate) post production processing and color correction. OLED is the superior display type in most regards for video program reproduction. All consumer video program formats in broadcast, streaming, and optical disc are now digital (including all old movies or TV shows shot with film cameras).

The studios and post production facilities are progressively updating from 1080p plasma displays to 2160p OLED displays for the most part. There are some exceptions, but OLED is becoming the dominant preference for large format video review monitors in the program production and post facilities. Do keep in mind that such facilities are typically viewing their displays in dark rooms with D65 bias lighting.

The major advantage of LED backlit LCD displays is the ability to compete with high ambient light environments. New RGB, discrete micro-LED, emissive displays are too costly for wide application yet.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
SMPTE, THX, ISF, Lion AV Consultants

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've viewed Blu-rays made from movies shot on film on a Samsung LED TV, a Samsung LCD, an LG plasma TV, and an Epson projector, and I've been satisfied with the abilities of each display to present that content in a film-like manner.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I've viewed Blu-rays made from movies shot on film on a Samsung LED TV, a Samsung LCD, an LG plasma TV, and an Epson projector, and I've been satisfied with the abilities of each display to present that content in a film-like manner.

What's the difference between LED and LCD?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What's the difference between LED and LCD?

They're both based on LCD technology for the display panel -- it's the manner of lighting up that panel that's different. The TVs branded "LCD" use CCFLs (an older type of fluorescent lighting) to provide illumination, while the "LED" branded screens use LEDs (light emitting diodes) for illumination.

Some people claim that there's no practical difference between the two, while others claim to see an extraordinary difference. I'm more in the middle... I think the LEDs look a little bit nicer but it's not an overwhelming difference, at least, it wasn't the case between my Samsung LED and my wife's Samsung LCD.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
They're both based on LCD technology for the display panel -- it's the manner of lighting up that panel that's different. The TVs branded "LCD" use CCFLs (an older type of fluorescent lighting) to provide illumination, while the "LED" branded screens use LEDs (light emitting diodes) for illumination.

Some people claim that there's no practical difference between the two, while others claim to see an extraordinary difference. I'm more in the middle... I think the LEDs look a little bit nicer but it's not an overwhelming difference, at least, it wasn't the case between my Samsung LED and my wife's Samsung LCD.

Still, if you had to start over and had to choose, would you choose LED or LCD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks