Digital Video Noise Reduction = evil laserdisc feature?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael St. Clair, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Michael St. Clair

I don't have one of the really high-end players, but I have a CLD-D703 (704 without AC3) and an LX900. Personally, I think the Panasonic has the best picture quality of the two.

I used to think DVNR was useful. The LX900 just has off/high/low settings, but the D703 has the five adjustable chroma settings and the five adjustable luma settings. I used to use these with 27" and 32" TVs and the noise reduction seemed useful. For going on a year now, I've been using them with a 53" HDTV.

On the bigger screen, I can't stand the noise reduction. To me, it seems to always reduce detail. I'd rather have the noise and keep the detail.

Is it just me? Or is it my players?

2. Michael St. Clair

Ignore this thread, and I'll have it deleted. Accidental dupe post from when the server was acting up (I thought the first post did not go through).

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I had already deleted the dup thread.

4. Michael St. Clair

Well, then there was a second one.
    When I walked back to my computer hours later, and saw a DNS or not responding message, I clicked 'back' and hit submit one more time. Then I noticed the dupe, so there must have been at least 3 total.
    This is the good one, which has a real reply: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=85654