Digital Video Essentials

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by andy_brehm, Mar 26, 2004.

1. andy_brehm

andy_brehm Stunt Coordinator

I have been debating for months if I should buy a calibration disc (avia/digital video essentials) for my system. after some thought i think my system could definately benefit from a calibration and started looking into digital video essentials. after a while i found that they have a different version based on the signal (480p, 720p, 1080i) I primarily view dvds and video games that play in 480p but have some games that play in 720p as well. it would alo be nice to have it calibrated for 1080i just incase i come across some media that has that capability.

so, does this mean i have to pick up 3 copied of DVE to get everything calibrated correctly? What would be your advise?

Thanks

Andy

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

DVDs are only encoded at 720x480 (480i/480p) so you can't get a 720p or 1080i signal from a DVD. DVE HD (720p or 1080i) is only available on D-VHS HD tape format, not DVD.

3. andy_brehm

don,

thanks for the info, I appreciate it. To save you guys some hassle, is there a site where i can learn all this stuff on my own?

thanks

andy

4. andy_brehm

oh, just out of curiosity is this DVD worth getting? i have heard that it is hard to navigate through and as you can tell i am not an expert in this area. i dont want to get it if i cant use it and get results? is there a different company that sells a good one that can be easily navigated or just a better disc overall?

thanks

5. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

Andy, you can get Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune-up. Think of it as AVIA light. I have it and it does help. I do plan on getting the DVE disk when I get a new TV. Afterall, another $40 or so isn't such a big deal to get the most out of your system.

6. DaveMart

DaveMart Auditioning

Just so you guys know, I picked DVE up on Amazon last week for $18.74. I was shocked it was that cheap, because I'm pretty sure I paid around $40 for the older (1997) version.

My personal feeling is I am pretty happy with the results of the audio setup, but I think it did pretty poorly on the video side. It didn't seem like it did a good job of describing some things, or at least I thought the original version did it better. But that was back when televisions were pretty simple. Don't get me wrong, it's still much better than I could have done on my own, but I was expecting better.

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Look in the beginner's primer and FAQ, there are some sections about Avia/DVE and calibration.

I use Avia, I don't have experience with DVE. Avia explains things well if you listen and understand the whole explanation, often people don't do that, but it's important.

8. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Search for DVE in the Software section of the HTF. THere is a long thread that discusses some of the short comings of the disc.

Personally, I like the basic video patterns, but find the audio to be problematic, particularly the sub test.

BGL

9. Dave_vega

Dave_vega Stunt Coordinator

what benefit does DVE or AVIA have over the THX optimizer on dvd's such as little nemo? I used this THX thing when I got my HDTV until I could afford DVE or AVIA..the picture seemed to be alot better after the THX deal, and I haven't really found a need to buy the actual calibration disk because the picture is really good..should I bother getting DVE? or will the THX optimizer be enough if I am happy with the picture?

10. Don_Berg

DVE and Avia have lots more test patterns and include colored filters that are necessary to properly adjust color and tint. The THX thing on some DVDs only apply to that one DVD! You will be able to adjust your TV much better with Avia or DVE as well as check other things like overscan and geometry. I highly recommend getting one. I got AVIA and the original Video Essentials - I prefer AVIA and use it all the time.

11. Dave_vega

Dave_vega Stunt Coordinator

thanks don..I will pick up AVIA as soon as I can gather the funds..

edit.. I assume avia is 480p? I just want to make sure, because my HD inputs don't display interlaced signals..

12. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Hey Don, I am curious why you prefer Avia? Which of the 2 do you consider more accurate for video?

13. mark weso

mark weso Auditioning

I ordered DVE at deepdiscountdvd.com for $16.48 with free shipping. I figured for that price, I couldn't go wrong. I'll let you know what I think of it when I try it out.

14. Don_Berg

I prefer AVIA over the original VE DVD, due to the easy access to all the multitude of test patterns. The AVIA was newer and had more test patterns including 16:9 widescreen versions for my widescreen HDTV. I haven't tried the newer DVE so I don't know how it compares - it is lower priced however.

15. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

480p is a function of your player, not the disc. All DVDs are 480i. The player or the display handles the deinterlacing.

Does your HD input handle a 1080i signal? Then it handles interlaced, although it is possible it will not handle 480i.

BGL

16. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

I recall that DVE has a very good patterns for doing black and white while the AVIA has patterns for doing the colors.

I currently have the original VE and I am now finally getting both DVE and AVIA.

If you ask an ISF calibrator, he/she will tell you the pros and cons of each and from most of their posts, it would seem to have both discs.