What's new

Digital Video Essentials - Sharpness Question (1 Viewer)

Chris-P

Auditioning
Hello, this is my first post. I recently got lucky & married a woman who allowed me to purchase a Sony Grand Wega 60" LCD Projection TV HD-Monitor. ;) I've also purchased Joe Kane's "Digital Video Essentials" dvd to help tweek in the picture properly. I've got the colors (brightness, tint, contrast, etc.) dialed in correctly but am having a bit of a problem with the sharpness tuning. The Wega has the standard sharpness adjustment bar, but also has the DCR advanced feature which allows further adjustments of sharpness via a "reality" and "clarity" graph type adjustment.

My question is: what would be the correct or proper way of tuning the sharpness in with the options available to me? Should I just use one or the other features? Or both?

Thank you guys for your help.

Chris

SeanA

Second Unit
Chris,

I think you mean DRC, and I was informed that it only affects 480i. So if you are running your DVD player in progressive mode, the DRC should have no affect. BTW, I found the sharpness tool/image in DVE to be almost useless. It was much easier to see changes in sharpness using the sharpness image from AVIA. The new DVE disc was a little disappointing too in that it seems they used a lot of "cropped" images from the standard VE disc.

Also, I should mention that I have the 34" Sony XBR and I found the optimal sharpness setting to be about middle of the scale... even though DVE suggested the best setting would most likely be the lowest possible setting.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Also, I should mention that I have the 34" Sony XBR and I found the optimal sharpness setting to be about middle of the scale... even though DVE suggested the best setting would most likely be the lowest possible setting.
Interesting.

I am comparing a Pio 45A and a Denon 1600, and what I find is that with the DVE sharpness pattern, anything below about halfway on my TV set's sharpness control (Pioneer 533)results in an increasingly blurry image. That is true of both players. Min setting is severely blurry with the DVE pattern.

The same two players with the Avia sharpness pattern want to be pretty close to the bottom of the range.

Not sure why that is, or which is "correct". I need to do the same comparo with VE vs. DVE, and also go back to the DVE settings and then do some comparative viewing of real films.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks