Digital Video Essentials - Sharpness Question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Chris-P, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Chris-P

Chris-P Auditioning

Hello, this is my first post. I recently got lucky & married a woman who allowed me to purchase a Sony Grand Wega 60" LCD Projection TV HD-Monitor. [​IMG] I've also purchased Joe Kane's "Digital Video Essentials" dvd to help tweek in the picture properly. I've got the colors (brightness, tint, contrast, etc.) dialed in correctly but am having a bit of a problem with the sharpness tuning. The Wega has the standard sharpness adjustment bar, but also has the DCR advanced feature which allows further adjustments of sharpness via a "reality" and "clarity" graph type adjustment.

My question is: what would be the correct or proper way of tuning the sharpness in with the options available to me? Should I just use one or the other features? Or both?

Thank you guys for your help.

Chris

2. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Chris,

I think you mean DRC, and I was informed that it only affects 480i. So if you are running your DVD player in progressive mode, the DRC should have no affect. BTW, I found the sharpness tool/image in DVE to be almost useless. It was much easier to see changes in sharpness using the sharpness image from AVIA. The new DVE disc was a little disappointing too in that it seems they used a lot of "cropped" images from the standard VE disc.

Also, I should mention that I have the 34" Sony XBR and I found the optimal sharpness setting to be about middle of the scale... even though DVE suggested the best setting would most likely be the lowest possible setting.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Most experts recommend setting Sharpness to "Off". On some TV sets the "Off" position is in the middle as opposed to at the left.

(After finding the "Off" position, you are certainly welcome to set it anywhere you wish.)

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor