Digital VE cancelled?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_Wilson, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Saw this in an email from Lasersedge.com today;
    DVD canceled
    Digital Video Essentials DVDI0712
    Anyone know anything about this?

2. Paul Wu

Paul Wu Stunt Coordinator

Don't know about cancelled, I had it being release this week, but then the release date changed to Feb 2002.
    ------------------
    Paul Wu
    "There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."

3. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

I'm sure it's just postponed. Sometimes retailers will list something as cancelled when it's postponed with no set release date. Joe Kane has been working hard on Digital Video Essentials and I really doubt he'd cancel it.
    Gregory

4. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

Did the MSRP on this change as well? I kinda remembered that it was much cheaper than VE at around $15 street. Now dvdpricesearch lists it at around $30.
    What gives?

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Will it have a DTS and DTS-ES/DD EX calibration track?
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

6. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    Here's the answer from a friend of mine who is a distributor of VE:

7. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Gerardo, is he a distributor as in a "reseller" and thus working off of second hand information? Or does he work for the distribution company (i.e. puts out, presses the discs) and thus has first-hand knowledge of the discontinuation (i.e. talked to the makers of this disc)? Just asking because resellers have often been given incomplete or partially inaccurate data at times, whereas someone who is involved in the manufacture of this disc will have more definitive information.
    If anyone went to the HTF Meet last September and spoke with Joe Kane at the wrap up dinner, did he have anything to say about this disc?

8. Bjorn Thoresen

I spoke to Joel Silver of the Imaging Science Foundation recently and he said that while the disc was behind schedule, Joe Kane was still working on it, implying that it would eventually come out.
    He also mentioned the Sound & Vision disc, which he hoped would reach a wider audience with its lower price.
    I also found out that the old LD "A Video Standard" never turned a profit, despite the fact that it was the only disc-based calibration tool out there for a long time. "Video Essentials" has made a profit on DVD, simply because of the greater popularity of the format.