Digital TV's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Meaux, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

Any good HDTV's in the 2K range? (yet)

2. Matt Bloxham

Matt Bloxham Agent

I bought my Sony Wega 32XBR450 about a month ago and I really love it [​IMG] I had to go with a 32" to fit in my entertainment center (damn speakers on the side!) I really wanted the 36". I also was looking at the Pany 34" widescreen as it would fit, but my wife really liked the Sony and it was $1700 less!( I got my XBR for $1700 & the Pany was $3400)
    I like the DRC (Digital Reality Creation) as it makes the channels that come in good( I have only local cable)look pretty impressive.
    I really love it for the Cinemotion with my DVD player as it makes look like a prgressive scan one ( I have the Sony 850 200 disc DVD changer) I also like the part that it can detect anamorphic DVD's, it makes the picture look almost as good as HDTV.
    As I do watch a lot of DVD's I'll probably upgrade in 2005 or 2006 when HDTV comes more common place and get a widescreen then, hopefully the prices will be lower as well!

3. MarshawnM

MarshawnM Stunt Coordinator

Meaux,
    Starting off the question is, will this TV be used to only view HD content and DVD’s? How much 4:3 content will you view on the widescreen display? If you plan to use the display as a theater, then go with a 16:9 display. If you will be view mostly 4:3 content and would like to have a DTV with a 16:9 mode, I would start with the Sony WEGA (XBR). I have the 36-inch XBR and while I can’t say progressive scan DVD’s (Denon 2800) look as good as my HD Direct TV content, it does look very good. As a warning, if you do not plan on investing some time and money on getting the picture right (Video Essentials is a must!), then you may want to look at other display because the default picture settings where pretty bad. Good luck and happy reviewing [​IMG]
    -MarshawnM

4. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

>> This thread should be moved into the TV and Projectors Area