Digital TV Cable Ends

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony DL, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Tony DL

Tony DL Auditioning

When I subscribed to Digital Cable service, the local provider came to the house and replaced all the ends of the tv cable on the outside of the house. They stated that this was a digital upgrade and removed the standard ends of the cables and replaced them with what they call "digital ends". Is this something that I should have done to the cables on the inside of the house as well? Does this add any value to the picture quality?

Thanks,
    Tony

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

It CAN.
    Ok, there are 2 issues here:
    - Every break in the cable can expose the copper to oxidization. After a few years instead of a copper color, the wire turns dull-brown. This can lead to reduced picture quality. With many older cable systems it's standard practice to replace any outdoor breaks with new, more weatherproof connectors.
    - Impedence: Cable TV coax should be made with something called 75 ohm coax. The connectors should also try and be 75 ohms as well. But in the early days, many of the connectors were not very well made. But they worked fine for analog CATV signals. But when they start pushing digital signals which are more sensitive to the cable & connectors, the old connectors can be a problem. So a better quality connector is often used.
    Should you replace your connectors: Yes.
    But I'd be suprised if the tech did not already do this for you. If not, here is what I suggest:
    Every year or two do a "HT Cleaning". Trace the CATV coax into the house and un-screw every break. Examine the center wire. If it looks dull-brown, cut the connector off and install a new fitting. Replace the connector if it feels loose/lopsided. Even un-screwing and re-connecting can scrape off oxidization and prevent problems.
    Very Important: When you screw the connectors back on, do it hand tight. Then use a wrench to tighten the threads about 1/4 turn more. Loose connectors are the number one cause of CATV service calls and poor CATV reception.
    You can do most of this with ordinary hand-tools. But check the "Tweeks & Connections" fourm for some special tools that make the job a lot more fun.
    Good Luck.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

real dumb question on my part, but did you call them up?

4. Tony DL

Tony DL Auditioning

Bob,

Thanks for your help. Very useful information.

Chu,

I did not call them up. Did not want a service call if it was not going to help the picture quality. Also,if I can do it my self, it would be more convenient for me (want have to take off from work to let them in the house).

Thanks,
    Tony