Digital Trends: Optical HD Battle May Be Over: HD DVD Wins

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Let's see...Mr. Enderle is a member of the advisory boards of Toshiba, Intel, and Hewlett-Packard...all members of the HD-DVD Promotion Group. Yep, that makes him unbiased.

http://www.enderlegroup.com/profile_rob.htm

And people wonder why a lot of us are sick of this stupid format war. We have posters with signatures proclaiming their love for one format posting articles that take shots at the other format. I expect that at AVS, not here. Very disappointing.

Pete T C

Second Unit

As per your link he is also a member of the advisory board of Dell, who is in the Blu-Ray camp.

In addition he has worked for and with: Microsoft, HP, IBM, Dell, Toshiba, Gateway, Sony, USAA, Texas Instruments, AMD, Intel, Credit Suisse First Boston, GM, Ford, ROLM, and Siemens. Doesn't sound too biased to me - let's face it, he is and has been involved with many of the major electronics companies out there.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
In the end, it's not going to matter as the market will determine which format wins this war, if there is any viable market left worth winning. Furthermore, you can always place individuals on "Ignore" if their postings bother you.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
You're right...worked...as in past tense.

Let me ask you a few questions. What do you hope to gain by posting this opinion article with a super large font headline proclaiming "Optical HD Battle May Be Over: HD-DVD Wins?" Why do you feel the need to trumpet the merits of HD-DVD while lambasting Blu-Ray? Are you receiving compensation for this? Are you honestly hoping to sway readers from the Blu-Ray camp to HD-DVD? Do you work for one of the companies associated with HD-DVD? Why do you care who wins the war? Did Sony run over your dog and knock up your sister?

These are serious questions that you and your fellow fanboys of both formats need to answer. Because a lot of us that are neutral are sick of this crap. I swear I hope both formats fall flat on their face and the competing companies have to actually work together on a format.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd

You're right Robert. And I apologize for getting angry. It's just that this stupid format war and its associated fanboys are starting to get on my last nerve. I've been a member here for over seven years and I've never seen anything like this here at HTF. From now on anyone that posts crap like that goes on my ignore list. Thanks.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Todd, the linked article was an opinion piece, not a news report, and should e taken as such. When reading these, remove the opinion and look at the facts in the article and form your own opinion. Nothing to get riled over.

As opinion, it makes no difference where the writer worked. In this industry, the most fluent writers have often been members of many boards, organizations and forums, and this does not is any way discount their comments or opinions. As a consultant, and owner of a small consulting firm, I have memberships in numerous organizations; organizations that often have opposing views. It is just the way of business.

If you look at the HD-DVD organization board, you will find many BD supporting companies. All of these companies are hedging their bet, and that is the way it should be.

As far as the article, while you may not agree with his interpetations of the facts, it is hard to ignore what was stated, and hard to ignore the position this war has placed these fledgling and poorly supported for formats. His final comments on the possible death of both might not be far from the truth.

But this will all work itself out one way or the other in the not to distant future. In fact, IMHO, in a lot less time then I thought just a few months ago.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd

I have no problem with an opinion article. I have a problem with the original poster adding the headline at the beginning of the thread in a super large font proclaiming "Optical HD Battle May Be Over: HD-DVD Wins" as if the battle was over and his preferred format won. It smacks of fanboyism and is something I'd expect from 12 year olds arguing over which game console "rulz" or "sux." This place used to be free of this tripe, but has steadily declined since the format war started.

As for the possible death of both formats, I can only hope it comes to pass. Hopefully what follows their deaths is supported by the entire industry. This is a needless war and all parties are to blame. I would have been more than happy to wait another year until a common format was agreed on. Now I have to wait until there's a winner because there's no way I'm buying into a format that may be extinct in a year or two.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

Apparently he is, since Mr. Enderle's very article opens with:

"Nearly a year and a half ago I wrote a column saying that Blu-Ray wins or nothing does."

So back then, was he associated with Blu-ray companies since he made said pro Blu-ray statement?

Or maybe he really is looking at this whole situation with an unbiased eye and has been all along?

Vincent

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
It would seem the only thing we can agree on - with some bitterness detected - is that we as the consumer and early adopter in particular who pay the premium for this fiasco - will be the loser. No matter who wins, or loses.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

Isn't that the way it always works? The hardware industry took a page from the software industry years ago and started using early adopters as Beta Testers.

Doesn't matter if you're talking Cars, Computers, Consoles, or Movie Formats, in the end the people buying first are buying problems.

I look at it this way, I'll only purchase new movies on HD media. Because if one format fails, I would've been buying it on DVD instead, and I'd still be looking at replacing it.

Catalog titles I won't really touch until they settle this fool war.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
So your main irritation lies in an over-dimensioned head line. Understandable, but it occurs more on the forum and it's basically nothing more than it is: layout (personally I'm also irritated by very small fonts used as default by some posters for their texts).
And in the big proceedings of life it is really a small nuisance....

Back to the topic: I too think that several parties who chose for BD may thank Warner and Paramount on their bare knees for keeping the format alive. Without those two consumer-friendly (in the sense that they bring out on both formats) studios, Blu-ray might now be in serious trouble already or even no longer exist at all.
However, I don't think the war is over yet, let alone decided, UNLESS it would be true that the production of BD-material might appear to be a serious technical problem in itself (as the article suggests). However, I don't know if that's true or not.

There's no doubt, however, that BD is still not doing well.

Cees

PS:
I also don't agree with your wish that both formats should fall flat on their faces. How would that benefit us? At the moment the consumers win by this war, because it helps keeping some of the prices down, products maximized and some of the delivering parties on their toes.
But in the long term we want 1 format: let it be one of the two (or else done through truly universal players). Why not?
C.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Man, you're completely bumming me out with your negativity.
It's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. True, we have a few members that have an agenda, but so what, I usually discount their opinion right off the bat because such bias opinions have little value to me as an HT enthusiast and consumer. I'm not about to let some faceless internet individual tell me what video presentation looks good to my eyes or sounds great with my limited listening skills.
As Cees stated, you have an advantage that the moderators don't, you can place those individuals on "Ignore". Furthermore, the Moderator Staff has concluded that some of those individuals have been warned enough so if they cross the line again then they shouldn't be surprise if their posting privileges are removed. We're done issuing warnings and will act accordingly towards any individual that disrupts the forum. Also, with more people buying players from either format, the discussion topics have moved far away from some of the childish discussions that took place early this spring and summer.

Crawdaddy

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Apparently no one remembers the violent DD-DTS wars of a few years back, which were equally fanboyish and mudslinging, with just as little hard data to work with. Nothing new here.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

This is likely to be the funniest thing I will read all day.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
Atleast with DD vs DTS they were different codecs and technology. Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD is the same exact technology, except that one format has more storage capacity and bandwidth. As Warner has shown us with so many titles, you can author the same exact disc for both formats with almost no differences. There are only minor variations in how the audio codecs are implemented and the interactivity layer to seperate the two at all.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
CES should show us alot more on how the format war is heading. New players for HD DVD make it no longer a Toshiba only show(for stand alones) and new movies will be announced including some big titles I'll imagine.

I think we'll also see some studios change their minds whether than be a postive for HD DVD or not. A negative would be Universal going to BR as well. HD DVD group can't afford that to happen.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canzanareview