What's new

Digital to analog audio conversion: how will I connect the devices? (1 Viewer)

phildtr

Auditioning
Real Name
Philip
I have a Samsung 4k Smart Tv and an old Technics SA-EX700 Dolby Surround AV-Receiver and I want to be able to get the sound from the TV to play on the sound system connected to the AV control.

Since the audio output of the TV is digital (Toslink connection) and the input from of the ampliphier is analog I had to buy a digital to analog audio converter.

The converter I bought was this one:

mmF2col.png

And the connections of the Technics SA-EX700 are these:

ApqxoKy.jpg

The converter has 3 3.5mm phone jack inputs (1 front left/front right, 1 surroud left/surround right and 1 subwoofer/something else that I don't know). This will lead to 5 RCA jacks. And my question is: where do exactly I connect them in my amp? Should I connect both front and surround cables in the VCR input and the subwoofer one in the subwoofer input? Is that the right way to connect it? Where will the sixth cable be connected?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Your receiver would need 5.1 inputs for that converter, which it doesn’t have. You need a basic digital to analog stereo converter.

By the way, the subwoofer jack is an output, not an input...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited:

phildtr

Auditioning
Real Name
Philip
Thank you very much for your answer, Wayne.
But I still have a question. Will the Dolby Pro Logic from the amp be able to convert the 2.1 from the converter into 5.1 emulated surround?
For example, I'm watching a movie that was recorded in 5.1. This digital signal is sent to the converter which will convert it to analog stereo. Will the amp be able to convert it to 5.1 anyway?

Kind regards.

Last edited:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If the receiver is Dolby Pro Logic, then it will convert a stereo signal to Dolby Pro Logic, not Dolby Digital 5.1. However, with Dolby Pro Logic, the rear channel signal (mono split out to two speakers) was basically an out of phase signal with the front speakers. Back in the day movies were specifically mixed for Dolby Pro Logic with this in mind, as it was how the rear channels were generated. That’s obviously not the case today, so there’s no telling what kind of surround sound you’ll be getting with a movie that started life as discrete 5.1.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If the TV has an analog audio output, just connect it to the TV input on the receiver. Also, there's no .1 with DPL.

BTW, there are DACs that take a DD input ant output matrixed, 2 channel analog.

phildtr

Auditioning
Real Name
Philip
BTW, there are DACs that take a DD input ant output matrixed, 2 channel analog.

Really?!
I tried to do a quick search and couldn't find any. The closest I got was this one. But I don't think it does what you say.
Do you know any DAC that does that?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This One clearly says it does. I know I've seen others, but this was just the first one that came up.

phildtr

Auditioning
Real Name
Philip
This One clearly says it does. I know I've seen others, but this was just the first one that came up.
I was specifically searching with the "matrix" keyword. I will search a little bit more. Meanwhile I will test the second one that I bought when it arrives.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They're probably not going to use the word "matrix". I just searched for DTS and DAC.

phildtr

Auditioning
Real Name
Philip
They're probably not going to use the word "matrix". I just searched for DTS and DAC.
Yes, I did a search with those keywords and found a lot of results.
One other question. Does this mean that my amp will have a trashy surround sound when connected to the DAC without Dolby Digital support that I bought?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It should sound fine. In fact, it might have a subtle surround effect, since the surround channels are in the audio. Basically, it will be Dolby Pro Logic, which was the first home surround format.

phildtr

Auditioning
Real Name
Philip
It should sound fine. In fact, it might have a subtle surround effect, since the surround channels are in the audio. Basically, it will be Dolby Pro Logic, which was the first home surround format.
Well, I am buying this converter specifically to have the most of my surround system even though my AVR is actually Dolby Pro Logic (the very first one with the monophonic surround channels). For what you tell I guess there is not that much of a difference from this one that I bought to a Dolby Digital decoder. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Anyways I will make sure to tell what was the result when it arrives.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I still suspect you may be adding in stuff that accomplishes nothing. If the TV has a two channel (L&R) analog audio output, just connect the receiver to that. Done. Same result. Exact same result.

phildtr

Auditioning
Real Name
Philip
I still suspect you may be adding in stuff that accomplishes nothing. If the TV has a two channel (L&R) analog audio output, just connect the receiver to that. Done. Same result. Exact same result.
it doesn't. It only has a Toslkink output.
s30T3RG.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads