Digital Terrestrial Receivers

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by SeanA, Jul 5, 2004.

1. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

I have been away for a while, and kind of behind on any new technology, but have decided I would like to upgrade my digital receiver for over-the-air reception. I currently have a Samsung SIR-T151 that performs very well. I am able to pull in all but one of the local stations that is broadcasting digitially, with an indoor antenna. The main reason I want to upgrade is simply to be able to use my Sony's DVI input, and hopefully see a mild improvement in HD image quality. The SIR-T151 does not have a DVI output.

Is there one or two "stand-out" digital tuner(s) that are also DVI capable ??? I did a quick search and did not find much on this topic, perhaps because there are not too many "terrestial only" receivers. (I do not need or want a receiver for satellite or cable). For that matter, if I could just find a list of terrestial only receivers, I could more easily search and find the information to make a decision.

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Samsung SIR-T165, DVI, firewire, other... Look at LG too, don't they have DVI? I'd have to check...

3. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Thanks Rachael,

The Samsung SIR-T165 was the one receiver I did discover on my own. There must be others though that are "air only" with a DVI output.

After a little thought, however, I realized that the DVI will probably not provide any improvement since my TV is an "analog" CRT. If I used the DVI input on the TV, the TV itself would still have to perform a digital to analog conversion... so I don't think I would be gaining anything. With my current set-up, the Samsung SIR-T151 must be performing the digital to analog conversion before sending the signal out through the component video cables. The real benefit of DVI would come to play if I had a plasma or DLP set, since no digital to analog conversion would be necessary. Am I correct, or would I still get some benefit from a DVI input on an analog TV ???

4. oryan_dunn

oryan_dunn Agent

Doubt you would see any improvement for the reasons you stated. The conversion has to happen somewhere with a CRT. But if you still want an OTA only receiver, I'd look at the LG LST-3100A which does have DVI.

Ryan