Digital stills on DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ian Jarvis, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Ian Jarvis

Ian Jarvis Auditioning

I have a Toshiba DVD player which plays CDRs okay. Is it possible to put digital images (ie holiday snaps from my digital camera) onto a CDR and look at them on the DVD? If so, what format do they need to be stored in, and what programme do I need to put on the disc to allow the player to acces the files?

Cheers

2. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

Most newer DVD players can play DVD-R's and VCD content. VCD means MPEG1 which is lower pixel count, on the other hand DVD-R's can do MPEG2 and do movies or stills. I just purchased a $349 Panasonic DVDBurner to do just that.

3. JoeDeM

JoeDeM Stunt Coordinator

Joe
    I use Nero 5.5 for this all the time, and it's quick and painless. They have a 30 day trial.

4. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

Ian,

As long as your DVD player plays VCDs, you can do this. What you will need author is a VCD complying to the 2.0 standard which has support for picture stills. I do this all the time and it really comes in handy especially now with the holidays and all. As stated earlier, NERO can do this, but since you are in the UK, you might be more familiar with a program called WinOnCD Power Edition. This by far, is the best program to author slide show VCDs. If you use this, WinOnCD will take *.jpg and *.bmp image files of any resolution. And don't worry about the quality, image stills in the VCD 2.0 standard are displayed as high rez images.

Good luck, and you can email me if you have any questions.