Digital SPl meter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard_M, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Richard_M

Richard_M Second Unit

I have done a search regarding the pros and cons of using the analog vers digital RS spl meters.

I currently have the analog version but the digital one is on sale at the moment, and I have read that one of the features of the digital is average reading which some users are using to calibrate their subs.

Does this feature make calibrating the subs easier, as currently I have two subs and a BFD 1100 eq, would this make the calibration easier when using a test disc with test tones. i.e. for a 5 second test would the result be more in line with real life results, or due to fact the this meter dosen't resolve less than 1db mean the the results are a waste of time?

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

The tests that I run using tones generated from the receiver play them as long as I want, so no averaging is needed. I guess from a test CD or DVD you might be limited in time.

Mine's digital, but I never use the average reading. I do use the slow setting, though. (Which maybe is the same thing.)

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I *had* the digital version, and never used the average setting.
    I now have the analog version and much prefer it. a) cheaper, but b) more important, it is much easier to get sub 1 dB resolution.
    I also have a BFD 1100p. And I've used the Autosounds 2000, and Stryke test discs with a lot of success.
    It sound as though you're being hit with "upgrade-itis."
    Don't do it! [​IMG]
    If you do get the digital one, keep the analog and decide between the two. I "overlapped" too, and it was an easy decision.
    Just becauase it costs more, doesn't mean that it's better. [​IMG]

4. John H

John H Second Unit

The digital averaging feature will not help measuring individual sine wave tones.
    I use the digital model average measurement to set the level of an LFE/SUB test tone which is usually 1 octave noise of 40-80Hz.
    John

5. Richard_M

Richard_M Second Unit

Thanks for the reply's.
    Yes Kevin I think you are correct
    Quote:
    "It sound as though you're being hit with "upgrade-itis.""
    I figured talking to myself, Self (since I was the only one in the room at the time) you need a new toy for christmas. Now that the response is basically that there is no improvement on what I already have, I may have to venture further afield and look for another new toy [​IMG].