Digital Sound from my Playstation?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Corle, Aug 3, 2001.

1. Rich Corle

Rich Corle Stunt Coordinator

I am now able to get regular analog sound coming from my speakers, but one of my games has Dolby Surround on it. So I was wondering, how do I get digital sound from my Playstation 1? This is no Playstation2. Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks.

2. Zane Johnson

Zane Johnson Agent

it's talking about Dolby Pro-Logic..the L and R RCA's will get ya DPL

3. Rich Corle

You sure? because i am currently getting DPL from my games but only one of my games has the Dolby Surround logo on the back. I find this odd. Shouldn't all my games have this logo if it is just DPL?

4. Rich Corle

replies please? one of my games has Dolby Surround written over all 4 discs and on the back of the case, and none of my other games has the logo anywhere.

5. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

You need to connect an optical cable from the PS2 to your decoder or receiver. There is also a setting in the PS2 prefs to enable digital out I believe, but don't remember exactly the scheme.

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

A receiver in pro-logic mode will decode anything (try playing music through it) but if the game is labeled "Dolby Surround" that means the sound was actually mixed for it. The way it decodes it's impossible to keep things confined to just the left and right speakers unless you turn off the decoding.

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Fred's got it right, if the reciever is in pro-logic mode, it will put out sound to the surround speakers even on regular 2-channel stereo material, it just won't "pan" front to rear because the pro-logic encoding isn't on the software.
    Pro-logic is matrixed into a regular 2 channel stereo signal, which you're already set up for.
    This is distinct from Dolby Digital Surround, which requires a digital cable from the source device (dvd player) or a dvd player with a DD decoder built in.
    Playstation 1 is not capable of passing any digital audio signal, has no digital audio output and no internal Dolby Digital decoder. It will, however, pass along the Pro-Logic endoding via it's left and right analog audio outputs.
    You don't have to do anything special to take advantage of the pro-logic encoding on that one game, just make sure the receiver is in pro-logic surround mode.
    How effective pro-logic will be depends on how good the encoding on the game software is, and it can be quite good indeed.
    I once had the original Need for Speed racing game for a pioneering 32 bit system called the 3-D0. It had pro-logic, and one could actually hear police sirens coming up from the rear, and even car crashes occuring in the rear surrounds.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.