Digital Signal

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris Huber, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...&oid=80976&m=0

I picked this TV up for a really great price. I don't have digital cable cause I really only want to watch movies. But, say a show like ER is on. It says presented in High Definision. Does my built in digital tuner pick that up over a regular cable conection? Or do you actually have to have digi cable to get that?

2. Andy_Hamric

Andy_Hamric Stunt Coordinator

What you are getting over analog cable is the standard definition picture. If you want a Hi-Def picture, you need to have something that's feeding you a Hi-Def picture. An antenna will, and cable will if the cable company is transmitting the HDTV signal on the cable. In the investigating I've done, usually digital cable does not automatically come with the Hi-Def channels, you have to buy an upgrade package to get those. Usually most of your locals plus a couple Hi-Def channels like DiscoveryHT, ESPN-HD or something like that.

I have WideOpenWest and they don't offer my UPN station in Hi-Def.

3. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

I understand Digi Cable. But, would ER come through in Hi Def over analog?

4. Steven.W.T

Steven.W.T Stunt Coordinator

If you have a OTA ATSC tuner then you should be able to just plug in an antenna and watch it. You might need a better antenna though, DTV signals are picky. If you live in a big area the big 4 channels probabaly broadcast regular and digital signals. You can get it for free.

Most cable companies dont send you digital signals. They will make you pay for it. Why dont you call and ask your cable provider?

5. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

Yeah, I might call them... They don't send a whole station 24x7 on a digi/analog signal. They only do big budget shows, like ER, cause they had the equipment to film it that way, right?

I might call them. What question should I ask them? The first 3 or so people I talk to probably won't know what I am talking about and try to sell me Digi cable. [​IMG]

6. Geraldine/F/M

If you don't watch movies, and want HD in broadcast, buy an ATSC set top box and a GOOD HD antenna. You'll be able to receive programs broadcast in HD. ER is one. Also, I think are about a dozen others. You can still keep your cable and use the set top box.

To get HD on cable, you'll need a high definition cable box and will need to subscrbe to the service. [​IMG]

Geri

7. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

I already have ATSC built in. What is an HD antenna. I am not familiar with that.

8. RandyMathis

RandyMathis Stunt Coordinator

I have a 30+ year old rooftop antenna that gets HD in very nicely.

You just need an antenna that is pointed in the right direction and that is high enough to get the signal.

9. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

I already have regular cable, so HD ER can come through that, correct?

10. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

no that is not correct. you must have digital cable and settop box capable of converting the high def signal.

11. JimMAC

JimMAC Agent

Chris, read all about it Here
    This should help you get started with HD on over the air antennas.

Mac

12. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

Chris, you have regular cable, but do you actually have an antenna in your attic or on your roof?

If you have an antenna, just make sure the antenna is attached to the TV, and since you already have the ATSC tuner built in, that should do it.

Matt