What's new

Digital Rights Agreement on Music (1 Viewer)

John Watson

Screenwriter
I certainly like to be able to listen to songs I like - in the order I want. Without having to change disks, select tracks, etc.

So making compilations is highly desirable.

(I would love to have chapters of many DVD's playable as a program, but cd burners are hard enough to handle, that I don't think it will happen much.)

But I would not want to see easy copying, with uncontrolled distribution, possible. The rip-off artists could kill the production industry.

Until the industry is organized (if ever) to permit song by song download to fan chosen compilations, we have a real dilemma.

robertLP

Stunt Coordinator
Dumb question - is the redbook version of SACD hybrids copy protected? Or could you copy the .wav file to your computer just like any other CD?

Rob

Nick White

Stunt Coordinator
The redbook layer on the Stones hybrids aren't copy-protected.

Not sure about others, but at least that means that there isn't anything inherent in the design of an SACD hybrid which copy-protects the redbook layer.

I suppose the record company could choose to copy-protect the redbook layer just as they would with a normally released redbook CD.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Philips (co-inventor of the CD) said a while back that copy-protected discs are not eligible to bear the CD-Audio logo.

Discs such as "The Fast and the Furious" and the Celine Dion disc that got stuck in iMacs may resemble CDs in size and shape, may be filed in the same bins as CDs (leading the unwary to purchase them), and may even play in some CD players. However, they are NOT audio CDs.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Rob - the CD layer of a hybrid disc can be read on a PC drive no problem. There have been some reported problems with reading the Stones hybrid discs in some DVD-ROM drives, however, because they try to read the SACD layer as a DVD and never attempt to access the CD layer. This is a firmware design flaw in the drive, not the disc. If you use a standard CD-ROM or CD-RW drive it should read the hybrid CD layer fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks