Digital receiver with HDMI upconversion?

flenn

Agent
Xmas is here and I think it's a good opportunity to try out a digital receiver. I've heard so many good things, but am reluctant to expect better performance than my current Sony DA50ES into my 5 channel HK amp; we'll see. The one thing that I would really enjoy is being able to use one video input if possible. If not, the Panasonic XR-70 can switch my HDMI and component sources which I can't do now. BTW, all my audio sources are digital, and I used one HDMI and 3 component video sources.

Is there a comparible digital receiver to the Panny that will upconvert all video to HDMI?

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
Sony 7100es or the 5200es. I have the 7100es and its awesome, check them out on ebay or etronics.com

flenn

Agent
Right now I have my HDMI run directly from my cable box to my TV. I have my DVD, Xbox and a PC run through components in my receiver. To flip from cable to one of the components sources requires a change to the receiver input AND the TV input. I have a macro programmed but switching inputs on both but my TV requires that the macro cycle through two inputs to arrive at the correct source. If my wife/kids/guests don't hold the remote just right (the cable box/audio stuff is on an adjacent wall), the input doesn't change.

Long story, but the bottom line is that it would be much easier to send everything through the HDMI.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
That's the propose!... Easy of use. Let the Receiver do all the video switching and leave the TV on one input. Unless you have a tv with descrete input. Getting a macro in a remote to work is difficult if not impossible sometimes. and then as you said.. someone that's not famiular with the system hold the remote wrong and everything get's out of sync.

Stick with one input on the TV and you'll avoid all kinds of issues.

FeisalK

Screenwriter

there is - the JVC D4xx series - but they don't sound as good as the Panasonic.

for just HDMI switching you might look at the Panasonic XR700

David Ogburn

Auditioning
If I run my cable box to the receiver via HDMI and a HDMI cable to the TV, does the receiver have to be powered on to pass the HDMI signal? Sometimes I (and, more specifically, my wife, would rather just listen to the TV without having audio through the receiver.

If the DVD player is connected via component video and optical audio to the receiver, will the receiver output the signal via HDMI?

Thanks.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaMovieMaestro