What's new

Digital Power Station: Enhance the audio on your Mac and PC (Review) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
DIGITAL POWER STATION

Like many that have a home office, a good part of my day is spent sitting in front of my computer. Whenever I am working, I am also being entertained, as I dedicate a portion of my screen to either a television or satellite radio feed. Of course, as a home theater enthusiast, I need to surround myself with a 5.1 speaker system that immerses me in whatever is playing on my desktop.

The problem is, as you introduce a more elaborate sound system in your home office, your computer can only do so much to enhance the audio. And you know what? For the past several years, I thought I had a terrific-sounding home office system. I never knew that there were ways I could further boost and augment the audio in my office through the use of software designed for that purpose, that is, until I accidentally stumbled upon a link to http://www.bongioviacoustics.com/index_main.php

Talk about an immediate sense of satisfaction....the moment I initiated the software, I was treated with an intensified level of audio across my 5.1 system. Now it was time to tweak the settings further. At the time of installation, I was streaming SiriusXM. It seemed appropriate to select MUSIC as my content source. There is also a selection option for MOVIES that at the moment, I mostly use for watching television programming.

Like a kid in a candy store, I began tweaking my audio for my specific tastes. Being an individual that enjoys bass, I turned the level up to a point that I felt enough underlying boom without becoming too overpowering.

To show just how feature-enriched this software is, you have access to a multitude of plug-ins to match the audio to your specific speaker system. In this case, I am using Logitech speakers, so a quick download and install of the plug-in gave me the best possible sound match. The great thing is, since I wasn't happy with the sound profile I downloaded, I had the option of installing and trying the dozen of other plug-ins available. It was very interesting to see options for Bose, iLUV and Mobi speaker systems. In fact, given the level of choices, you could literally spend a good portion of your day testing one speaker profile after another.

For the moment, I found Amsterdam Speakers provided me with the ultimate amount of punch my computer audio needs.

Surprisingly, one of the most significant advantages of the DPS Plug-In is its affect upon my Macbook Pro. Laptops are not known for providing speakers that provide an amplitude of volume. Thanks to the DPS Plug-In software and its "volume boost" option, my Macbook's speakers now provide room-filling audio that was never originally possible.

The Digital Power Station Plug-In not only works with Built-In and External computer speakers, but it also goes a long way to enhance the way you listen to PC audio through your headphones. For those of you worried about your kids using headphones with their computer, there is a piece of mind knowing that included DPS H.E.A.R. technology automatically adjusts the level of sound output for a safer listening experience.

The Digital Power Station software is designed by a long line of industry professionals who have specialized in studio recordings. If interested, you can read the complete background of the company here.

Final Thoughts

It's one thing to browse a review like this knowing you are going to have to purchase the software to believe what you read. It's another knowing that you have the ability to try this software for free with all its features on a limited trial. That's how I became hooked. The plug-in is available for both Mac and PC. The company also makes additional audio enhancement plug-ins for mobile devices such as the iPhone and iPad.

The $19.95 purchase price for the plug-in seems fair. For those of us that own a desktop and laptop I was hoping that a single purchased license would be good for up to 2 devices. Sadly, it is not.

I have become quite accustomed to listening to this unprecedented quality of audio for the past few days -- so much so that when I accidentally closed the application -- it was if I was listening to my computer through a transistor radio speaker. The difference of using and not using this application is really night and day. Both movies you watch and iTunes music you listen to sound larger than life. The only way that I can properly convey that experience to you, the reader, is to have you try the software for yourself at no charge. You decide and let me know.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Walk me through this please cause i don't get it: What's the point of spending so much effort to get your music collection in full uncompressed form when you are gonna mangle it to taste with an elaborate equalizer?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Because everyone is not you, Sam.

Not everyone has uncompressed music on their computer.

I don't listen to music on my computer so it's not an issue with me.
However, listening to the samples of what I do have, I found the music
to have more "punch" with the enhancement than without.

Everyone's situation is going to be different, but I find that this
software greatly enhances the things I listen to on a daily basis
including streaming satellite radio and television.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm not anti equalizer, Ron. If you say this software is good I will check it out. I've used some in the past, some that even add pseudo surround in the mix and those have been fun and interesting. This is a philosophical question.
HTF members generally are pretty heavily weighted towards -accuracy- over subjective tweaks.
Uncompressed sound
OAR
Calibrated playback devices
Etc. you in particular have been a staunch holdout of even using compressed music.
So where do equalizers and optimizes fit in here? In my mind they are polar opposite goals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ofyclinic
Recent bookmarks