1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Digital 'popping'

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisVenaccio, Oct 21, 2001.

1. ChrisVenaccio

ChrisVenaccio Auditioning

Has anyone encountered 'popping' or dropouts over a digital connection? I own a Marantz 7200 and I encounter dropouts via my digital connections when the CD hits the track marker. I have a lowline sony CD player and have tried the Marantz CC400OSE as a replacement and I get the same popping with both players. I can't determine if it is
    1. a defective 7200
    2. just the way Marantz handles the muting of the bitstream from the CD player when it hits a track marker
    3. The 192hz DAC isn't quite perfect yet
    I was wondering if other manufacturers at the same price point have similar performance. Also, is it something isolated to the 7200 and is not in the 6200 (96Hz DAC). If I get another 7200, will I encounter the same thing (the Marantz processing issue vs. a defective unit)

2. ChrisVenaccio

Does anyone know if the Onkyo 696 has the same problem?
    Also, from previous posts - it seems that people owning the x200 Marantz receivers who don't report the 'popping' issues have Toshiba CD or DVD players. Someone suggested to me that maybe the Toshiba delivers the bitstream a little differently. However, I get the 'popping' with a Marantz CC4000OSE player. It should at least be compatible with products of it's own.
    Which bring up another question: if Marantz tested these receivers, how can you hear this 'pop' and not decide that it is a thing which should be fixed before hitting the market.

3. Dennis B

Dennis B Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    My 7200 'pops', too. Regarding the other problems others had, it's the only one I've encountered. My dealer is trying to find out what the heck is happening. Have you had any news on this subject?
    Thanks,
    Dennis
    ------------------

4. Jim_T

Jim_T Extra

Chris, my Marantz PS7200 (Japanese version) exhibits the same popping during the layer change, but only pops during CD play at the end of the CD, not between songs, with my Marantz CD6000 OSE. When I play a CD on my JVC XV-S65 DVD/CD player, it pops between every track. I also sometimes get pops when changing surround modes.
    If anyone does hear anything from their dealer or whoever regarding this, I'd love to hear about it.
    Jim

5. ChrisVenaccio

Dennis,
    I have not heard anything about the popping issue. I did call Marantz and they said I was the first to report such an issue and they'd check into it and get back to me. That was about 4 weeks ago.
    I went to another dealer and checked out the 7200 there and it did the same thing as well with a Pioneer Elies CD player. I checked out the Integra 6.2 they had there on the same CD player and there was absolutely no popping. I am now the owner of an Integra 6.2. I returned the Marantz. It's odd that they would have such a problem with a receiver after the success of the 7200, but it's seems to be a Marantz thing and not a CD player compatability thing.