What's new

Digital Photo Editing Software (1 Viewer)

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I apologize if this is in the wrong area, but it seemed to be the most appropriate area. I recently purchased a digital camera and will soon be purchasing a scanner to scan in some old family photographs. I know various software programs are available to edit and organize photos, but I don't know anything about them. I can't imagine that I'll use much in the way of special effects, but some repair/restoration features would be nice as some of the photographs are quite old.

I'm thinking about Paint Shop 7 Pro (about $100) but yesterday I saw Print Shop 12 Deluxe for about $40. Since Print Shop is a more generic and versatile print program, it seems likely that it is not as good as Paint Shop which seems more geared to digital photographs than calendars, greeting cards etc.

I'd welcome any comments regarding either Paint Shop Pro or Print Shop Deluxe, or any other digital photo software I should consider. Thanks in advance for any comments / recommendations.

Steve K.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I havent used much of those. I have an old version of Adobe Photoshop, a professional program, but it retails for around $600 or up. Not what you are looking for but you could do ANYTHING to pictures with this thing!

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I have read some good reviews of Adobe Photoshop Elements, which I believe retails for about $100. My understanding is that they taken Photoshop and removed most of the features that only professionals would want. I don't have any personal experience with it, however. (I've been using Adobe Photo Deluxe, which gets the job done.)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I'd rank this very high on the "out of place posts" on the board ;) I love photoshop, though it would probably be overkill if you're just looking for basic editing.

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
There is a program you can demo called photobrush. I really like it and it is a lot cheaper than Photoshop (of course it doesn't do all that Photoshop does.) Also, MGI makes a product called Photosuite that is decent for basic restoration type tasks.

CarlDJr

Stunt Coordinator
I just recently bought Paint Shop Pro, unless you really want to get into editing it can be intimidating.
Microsoft Picture It and Adobe Photoshop Elements aren't as comprehensive but offer more "hand-holding" aspects.
If you want the best of both worlds you can buy Paint Shop and Picture It, use rebates and get Picture It free:
Link Removed
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...344138&loc=105
Picture It review:
http://www.cnet.com/software/0-42962...ml?tag=topfive
PhotoShop Elements review:
http://www.cnet.com/software/0-429627-1204-4934833.html
Paint Shop review:
Link Removed
Ulead PhotoImpact review:
Link Removed
Hope these help.
:)
Edit: Both Paint Shop and PhotoImpact have trial downloads available.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Not to get off topic but what is the best way/program to take VHS tapes and put them into digital format? Is it best to buy a Digital Camcorder and then run the VCR through the DV camcorder? I work at an office and they get rid of their old software (1 version from brand new) so is something like Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Photoshop the best programs to use?

KyleS

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
Steve - Photoshop is a fantastic program. I use it everyday for my work. The full version (Which I use) is expensive, but there is an alternative. There is a LE version. It has all of the core features of the full program. It's just missing some of of the higher features geared towards more advanced users.

I have a copy of 5.0 LE that I can send you for free if you want it. There is no manual, but the full help files are on the CD-ROM. It's still sealed in it's sleeve. Later, if you want to upgrade to the full program, you can do so at a price much less than the full version costs.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Jereme D- Sorry for the delay in responding, but I've been away for a day or two. Thanks for your very generous offer. I've sent you a PM with additional comments. Thanks again.

Steve K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks