Digital Path Recievers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by AndrewWhi, Jun 5, 2004.

1. AndrewWhi

AndrewWhi Guest

I am looking for a new reciever, and was wanting to know the difference between the Harman Kardan AVR and DPR recievers.

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

The AVR's are traditional designs employing ADC's, DAC's, and analog amps. The new DPR's use a digital amp module from D2Audio. There may be ADC's in the signal path depending on the input, but the DAC is the power amp itself.

Ideally, you want to input a digital signal, which will pass through the DSP and then will be converted to PWM for amplification. The theory is that as the signal is in a digital state, it is less prone to corruption that can happen in the analog domain.

DJ

3. AndrewWhi

AndrewWhi Guest

Thanks for the reply. I will look into getting one of the DPR's

Andrew

4. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Here is some additional info on the DPR's. I'm interested in them as well. I have a cheap little Panasonic with digital amps(although they use a different digital amp chipset)that sounds remarkably good, so I'm sold on the digital amp idea, however, I like the fact that the HK's are at a higher price point, appearing to make less compromises in the design.

If you get one, let us know how you like it.

DJ

5. AndrewWhi

AndrewWhi Guest

Sure thing. That info helps a lot in understanding some of the differences between conventional recievers and the digital ones.

Are digital recievers going to be the norm in the future?

6. Tabish

Tabish Extra

__________________________________________________ __________
    Are digital recievers going to be the norm in the future?
    __________________________________________________ __________

More and more companies going digital route, So I think that would be the future, we will find more and better quality products.