What's new

"Digital" output 1/8" miniplug on the Audigy cards and others... (1 Viewer)

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
May not be news to anyone but me, but this means effectively that if you convert the 1/8" plug to stereo RCAs, and use the left RCA, it will function as a digital coaxial cable.

We tried this on a friend's Turtle Beach card with success, so I came home to try it on my audigy, and sure enough it works like a charm on PCM info. Been testing various .ogg files and mp3s... so far so good at 44.1 kHz and 48kHz... not at 96kHz, but I guess this is to be expected, right?

I don't have a DVD-ROM yet, but I'm anxious to find out if it will effectively pass AC-3 and DTS tracks to my reciever... can anyone confirm this or link me to a dolby digital / DTS .vob trailer?

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
is this true? I'll have to check it out with my turtle beach santa cruz. a digital connection would sure be sweet

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
It's called the "versajack" in my friend's turtle beach manual... seems to work flawlessly for PCM... still havent tested AC-3 or DTS

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Update: after using the speaker calibration test (chapter 7) from AVIA in .VOB format, I can categorically say that the audigy DOES indeed pass an AC-3 bitstream via this connection... all the way to my reciever using nothing but rat shack headphone extension cables and a 1/8" miniplug to stereo RCA converter.
Havent been able to test the QUALITY of this transfer or the capabilities of DTS... so if someone could link me to some better .VOB files, I could get on it...
Hopefully this will be good news to some people out there. ;)

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Update #2: Well, it may just be the fact that my computer sucks (600Mhz duron with PC-100 ram) or that is just wont work, but I could not get DTS vob files to play properly...
The reciever DID recognize it, but all i got was clicks, pops, and noise... but the video was VERY choppy and slow, which leads me to believe that it's my computer's problem processing and not the connection...
Upon a little more testing, with lots of dif. Dolby Digital bitrates on the DD and THX trailers, Ive only gotten one or two dropouts, again, probably due to the fact that my computer sucks, but I can't be sure until Ive done more testing or until someone else does some test of their own. I'll ask my friend to bring his box over tomorrow (1Ghz duron/DDR system with a dvd-rom and an audigy) and test on that possibly... otherwise its just waiting for a curious forum-goer to read this and do his or her own tests... or waiting for my DVD-rom from NewEgg. :frowning:
Anyway... mixed results... not all bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks