Digital out from Soundcard?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ShantballZ, Jun 3, 2003.

1. ShantballZ

ShantballZ Auditioning

Okay, I've been running stereo sound out from my Soundblaster Audigy card to my hometheater system for some time now and was wanting to run a digital connection now. I know on the back of my soundcard there is a s/pdif digital output, but the only s/pdif cable I can find anywhere is the RCA jack size. My output is the size of a small headphone jack... (1/8" i belive)... Any way I was wondering if anybody knows of a site that I could pick up dongle or something that fits into that small hole? I know its not an optical toslink connector or the rca size digital coax, so what do I need to be looking for? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

3. ShantballZ

ShantballZ Auditioning

I think that this would fit, but I don't think that that would allow the digital signal to pass through. That would be for mono or stereo sound not dolby digital. But thanks for your help Danny.

4. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Oops, I posted a stereo 1/8th jack, and the soundblaster manual says it needs a mono jack. Thus you'd use the following:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=274%2D897

I think that this would fit, but I don't think that that would allow the digital signal to pass through. That would be for mono or stereo sound not dolby digital. But thanks for your help Danny.

It'll work. The RCA version of SPDIF can use standard cables.

5. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

So that connector plus a standard RCA cable and your in business? I take it you connect the other end to your digital coax in, on the reciever?

6. Nate Wh

Nate Wh Agent

Great this help a bunch! I'm doing the same thing..

7. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

Make sure that the "standard" cable is a 75-ohm VIDEO cable and not an audio one. This ensures that there is no impedance issues and that everything works all hunky-dory.

8. Nate Wh

Nate Wh Agent

Ok.. so 75ohm video cable, I was at radio shak and they only had one of these Coaxial RCA connector cables and it was 40$!!.. Is this cable basically like a TV Cable connection with some RCA connectors at each end? I'd just rather make one or try an audio cable before dishing out 40$ for one of these.. thanks

9. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

No, they have 75-ohm video cables for MUCH less than that. Don't use an audio cable, chances are that it has an impedance of something other than 75-ohm. This means that it MIGHT work but there will be some changes to the signal and quite possibly to the sound.

10. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Yes, a 75-ohm video cable is ideal, but we're talking about a 1.5 Mbps signal which will be carried over a short distance of typically 3 to 6 feet. An audio cable likely won't lose enough to make a difference. Someone (it might have been someone on this forum) demonstrated AC3 decoded successfully without errors using alligator clips and a coathanger.

11. Nate Wh

Nate Wh Agent

hahaha.. gator clips and a coat hanger... that's great!.. I get my dig reciever in tomorrow so i'll give the cables a whirl.. Thanks for the help