What's new

Digital out from DVD to receiver question (1 Viewer)

keithPI

Auditioning
Newbie question:

I currently have a Sony NS775 DVD player (has Dolby decoder built in and has 5.1 outputs), this player is hooked up to the TV via a component video hookup it was hooked up to a Sony stereo system that has 5.1 inputs and I used the 5.1 cables from the DVD to the stereo.

Now I have a JVC-5032 receiver (to replace the stereo system)so I was going to hook up the DVD using the "optical" or "coax" digital output to the receiver but when previewing the manual for the receiver it states: "when connecting a video component using the digital terminal you also need to connect it to the video jack."
then they proceed to show the illustration with the digital line into the receiver along with a video connection. Problem is this receiver does not have component inputs. So did I mess up? I do not want to lose my component video hook-up!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Keep the component connection directly to the TV and connect the digital connection to the new receiver. I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work without both connected to the receiver.

You will need to go into the DVD player's digital audio setup menu and make sure DD and DTS are on and set to bitstream. You may also need to go into the receiver's setup menu to tell it which digital connection to use.

John Gido

Second Unit
I believe they mention that in the instructions so as not to mislead the customer into thinking that the digital connection handles BOTH audio & video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks