digital out from computer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisWiggles, Aug 20, 2002.

1. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Ok, I've got a sound blaster live! value sound card in my computer, and I originally planned just to go to radio shack and get a few 1/8" headphone to phono plug adapters, than run a bunch of cables to my receiver 6.1 input and get like 4 channel surround. I decided to see what all was back there on my computer, since i dont usually look, and found a funny little yellow outlet that says "digital." It's in the same 1/8" headphone plug size. What kind of output is this? Is this like a digital coax-type output? Could i route this with one adapter and a phono cable to a digital in on the receiver? And if that works, is it dolby digital out? Oh, and would just normal sound, like mp3 and video games be able to go through that? I wouldn't think that my soundcard would be able to convert that to dolby digital format, but who knows? (And, no i'm not using my computer as a main sound source, but it's be cool to have it hooked up anyway. Crappy sound coming through nice speakers sounds better than crappy sound through crappy computer speakers) [​IMG]

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Whoops, i never scroll down the page and look at all those other forum areas way down there :/ HAH! there's one filled with the answers to all my computer questions, including this one. Sorry bout the wrong area post [​IMG]

3. David*RT

David*RT Stunt Coordinator

Can you post that link? Thanks.

4. RodrigoF

RodrigoF Auditioning

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I think this belongs in the HTPC area.

6. Paul Murphy

Paul Murphy Stunt Coordinator

hah i did the same thing and posted it in the same place