digital or analog

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by sheldon-VIC, Oct 16, 2003.

1. sheldon-VIC

sheldon-VIC Extra

hey all,
    my name is VIC and i'm new to the forum. my knowledge of electronics is limited, but i am learnin' lol. i ask as many questions as i can, but most people around here (middle of nowhere) know less then i do. so i found this sight and hope i can get the right answers.

my first questions are that i am looking at either the harman kardon DPR 1001 or the AVR 325-330 and the AVR 525.
    i was wondering if anyone can tell me which is better analog or digital and please explain why (plz not too technical, lol) i am only going to be running a DVD player and starchoice off it.

i would be thankful for any feedback

thx VIC

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    This depends on the quality of the sources (DVD, Sat, etc...). If the D/A converters in the player are better than the receiver, then analog might sound better, but then you are at the mercy of the player to handle bass management as well (which may or may not be a good thing).

If the DVD player is bare-bones, basic player, I'd opt for digital and let the receiver do the D/A. If it has DVD-A or SACD capability, you are stuck with analog for those formats, but would be able to use digital for DVDs/CDs if you choose.

3. sheldon-VIC

sheldon-VIC Extra

the DVD player will be the panasoic DVD F85 and my starchoice is the 405 model. i will only be using the optical for them, on the reciever. i will be using component to my tv (sony 51" widescreen). the digital costs alot more , almost double, and i am worried that, because they are fairly new, they are not very reliable yet. they my still have bugs to work out.

VIC

4. John Garcia

John
    n/m

5. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

I think he's trying to ask which type of receiver is better, the all digital H/K DPR 1001 or the "analog" 325, 330 and 525.

I would say to go with the 325, 330 or 525. These all digital receivers are fairly new and I think it's safe to say that the jury is still out.

6. John Garcia

John
    I think you're right. He means traditional solid state vs "digital" amp. Agreed, I'd go with the standard for now.

7. sheldon-VIC

sheldon-VIC Extra

i ended up getting the H/K 330, i got a really good deal on it. wife won't let me open it untill christmas [​IMG] lol