Digital or analog interconnects from cd?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rand, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Rand

Rand Supporting Actor

I've heard a few opinions on this and I'd like some more. I'm presently using a decent pair of analog interconnects from my Yamaha CDC-506 cd player to my Denon 2802. Should I switch to the optical out instead?

I can listen to cd's from my Panny RP91 for better sound but I like to use the Yamaha changer instead of constantly switching discs on the RP91 as I like to skip from disc to disc.

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Well, if you use analog then you are using the DACs in your player. If you go digital out then you are using the DACs in your receiver. I'm not familiar with your CD player so which do you think has the better DACs? I would guess that the Denon does. So, if you feel the same, then use the digital output. If you aren't sure about the DACs, then let your ears decide. Try both ways and make your choice from that.

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I agree with Richard. Most receivers let you hook up both and switch between inputs with your remote to judge which sounds better. One thing to keep in mind is that the volume between the two inputs will probably be different and you will naturally tend to prefer the louder one. I have also found the DACs in the receiver "tend" to sound better on similarly priced equipment.

4. Rand

Rand Supporting Actor

That's pretty much what I was thinking. The Yamaha is a low end carousel changer so I seriously doubt that the dacs are as good as in the Denon. I have one optical input left on the Denon so I may as well take advantage of it. Thanks.