digital or analog a/v receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Richard Solomon, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Richard Solomon

Richard Solomon Auditioning

I'm completely new to HT and am assembling my first system. I'm stuck between an entry level HK 235, Marantz 4500, Pioneer 815, on the analog side, and the Panasonic XR70 on the digital. Very positive reviews for all of these machines (especially the analog ones) and all will no doubt work for me. But the Panny has an HDMI connection, a nice extra for the future and it's supposed to run much cooler. This may translate into more durability.
    BTW, my room is small-less than 2000 cubic feet; I also have a commercial Panasonic plasma and Hsu ventriloquist speakers with their STF-2 sub.
    I'm leaning toward the digital Panasonic, but am concerned that it's still a bit too early to make the jump to all digital in that better entry-level machines will be around when I'm ready to upgrade.
    Thanks for any advice you can give me.
    Richard

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I’ve heard nothing but good things about the digital Pannys, as far as sound quality goes, so there’s no reason not to give it serious consideration. As far as durability, this product category hasn’t been around long enough to say for certain.

An important thing that needs to be considered is a receiver’s remote. IMO the remote is a “makes or breaks” deal. If it isn’t user friendly, your viewing experience is an exercise in frustration. Basically, you want your receiver’s remote to be able control at least the basic functions of all you components. If not, you end up shuffling a handful or remotes, grabbing a different one each time you want to mute, fast forward, etc.

Most remotes these days have at least pre-programmed codes for various components, but they usually don’t control all functions. Therefore it’s important that the remote to have per-button learning capability.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

If you're not intending to use the HDMI connection then the newer XR55 is probably a better bet - it's 7.1 has binding posts on all channels and a lower adjustable LFE (80Hz as opposed to 100Hz on the XR70). Its cheaper even so you can use the savings towards a super remote like the Logitech Harmony H520

4. Jongyoon Lee

Jongyoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

The digital amplification vs analog amplification these days is probably as controversial as vinyl vs cd or tube vs transistor. I am taking a leap, and building my current HT system with Panasonic XR55. In the past I used to own HT system that consisted of Denon AVR-5700, Nakamichi, both conventional and electrostatic speakers, so I'll have something to compare with. The receiver is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I'll try to post a review after I receive them.

5. Richard Solomon

Richard Solomon Auditioning

Thoughtful comments. Thanks. And, Jongyoon, I look forward to hearing your initial reaction to the XR55!
    Richard

6. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Chose one for a friend who asked me to do so for them. I keep it and tried to adjust it before giving it to them. I must say that it sounded as good or better than any other reciever I've heard. BTW I choose it because I've owned and heard analog recievers all my life so why not try something different. I told them I would buy it back if they didn't like it. They are pleased as can be with the unit.