Digital optical?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin_Welch, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Kevin_Welch

Kevin_Welch Agent

i am upgrading my conection between my imac and my HT and have a question on Optical cable. ineed to connect 2 optical cables to each other. are there connectors for this or do i need to buy 60 ft os optical cable? my computer is in one room and i have to go to another. any thoughts/ thanks
    k~

2. Jason_A

Jason_A Stunt Coordinator

TOSLINK?

They sell adapters to connect two toslink cables together they also sell it by the feet but you need to search around for that.

Jason

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I am not even sure it will work at that distance. If so, you are probably going to need a really good quality cable so the signal is not lost over that distance. Not to mention that it is going to be insanely expensive. TOSLINK runs about $10/foot. That is a $600 cable!

4. Jason_A

Jason_A Stunt Coordinator

They sell toslink signal amplifiers too I believe.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

signal loss through even the best of plastic toslink is substantial hence if you're thinking of going that route, I'd sure be looking for the possibility of some kind of money back guarantee even if it means a restocking fee.

A nice place that I've dealt with is http://www.lifatec.com/Lifusa_patchcords.htm and 20 meters will set you back $52. Perhaps there are better prices around.

6. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

I don't really remember the Toslink specs, but I thought the maximum distance in the specs was specified as something like 6 meters (approx 20 feet).

You might be able to extend this distance by using glass fiber cable instead of plastic.

You could also use a Toslink optical to 75Ohm coax cable converter and run the longer distance on the 75Ohm cable.