What's new

Digital Optical Cable for DVD player (1 Viewer)

John_Quincy

Agent
I am looking for a digital optical cable for my DVD player (Panasonic RV31K). I prefer to get one from Acoustic Research. Which one of these cables is correct?
Link Removed
AR HT 181
Thanks,
John

John Royster

Screenwriter
One has an RCA connector the other has a toslink connector.

Most DVD and digial receivers use toslink, so i'd say get the second one.

John_Quincy

Agent
OK. Was not sure if I was reading it correctly or not. The receiver I have is the VR-509 which I beleive (looking at the manual now) has a toslink for this cable.

Thanks,

John

John_Quincy

Agent
OK. This is REALLY wierd. Both accessories4less.com and abtelectronics.com have the same part number AP081, but different descirptions. Can someone help?
ABT
Model:AP081
Price: $ 20.00
Acoustic Research Performance Series Digital Optical Cable - AP081/ 6 Foot Length/ RCA Connector/ High Quality Fiber Optic Cable
In Stock
Acoustic Research Performance Series Digital Optical Cable, Model AP081
AR Performance Series digital audio cable is available as optical and coax to meet the widest variety of equipment needs. Performance Series digital optical cable is constructed of high-grade optical fiber, with a highly polished curved lens and gold-plated collar. Performance Series digital audio coaxial cable with RCA connectors provides a quality connection for digital equipment where optical is unavailable or coax is preferred. Oxygen-free solid copper wire, gold-plated connectors and dual shielding provide improved performance.
Features:
6 Foot Digital Optical Cable.
RCA Connector.
High-quality fiber optic cable for use with all Toslin™ optical connections.
Signal transmitted at light allows highest possible performance from audio equipment.
Lens assembly protected by gold-plated collar.
Easy installation with non-slip rubber grip.
Greater signal accuracy and additional fiber protection with inner cladding.
Improved digital signal delivery for better wound provided by polished curved lens.
True digital signal maintained by high-grade optical fiber.
Added flexibility and durability from PVC jacket.
BestBuy
Acoustic Research 6' Digital Optical Cable
Model: AP081
Get a perfect digital-signal transfer from one component to another with this optical cable from Acoustic Research. You'll hear the difference.
High-grade fiber-optic cable with polished lens delivers optimum digital-signal transfer
Gold-plated collar protects the delicate lens assembly, while the rugged PVC jacket protects the rest of the cord
Inner cladding improves signal accuracy
PRODUCT DETAILS
AP081
Color
Navy blue
Type of Cable
Digital optical cable
Length of Cord
6'
Features
Constructed with high-grade fiber-optic cable with polished lens; use with all Toslink-to-Toslink optical inputs and outputs; construction protects delicate fiber-optic cable; optical transfer for digital signal maximizes performance.
Any ideas? Can someone who has these clear this up for me?
Thanks,
John

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
John- I just got the 3 ft (1m) version of the AR optical cable from www.mcmelectronics.com . About $20 too.
I had a cheapo (Remo?) one before that.
Can't quite say as I've noticed any difference in the sound or video with it, but it is built a lot sturdier. I tried the "shine the flashlight" through it trick to compare light intensity, and couldn't see any difference that way either.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/Search...questid=110094
(But the picture is wrong, is optical Toslink at both ends like the one on the right... Same part no. as your 6 ft one!)

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
John,

The description at ABT makes no sense to me. A TOSLINK optical cable does not have an RCA connector, it has, by definition, a TOSLINK connector. It seems that somewhere along the line, ABT included part of a description from AR's digital coax cable, which is not an optical cable. A digital coax cable does use RCA connectors.

Both of the links in your first post are for cables that will work, but the ABT one is for a lower-grade AR cable. The one at Accessories for Less is a better quality cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks