What's new

Digital noise from DVD player... (1 Viewer)

Mike Robbins

Auditioning
Does anyone else hear that faint "tickety tickety tickety" noise that I like to call "digital noise" from their DVD players? Both my Tosh 3107 and Pioneer DV-37 do it, and it drives me crazy. I need a fix....any ideas?

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Goto
http://www.soundstage.com/maxdb/maxdb.htm

Scroll down to and click on the Modifying a DVD/CD Transport or Player -- Part 1 and 2 sections.

Basically, providing damping on the transport and the chassis does help with the mechanical noise quite a bit. I've done it to my Pioneer. It also should improve sonics BTW. Be careful with the rope caulk on the transport, too much in the wrong location and you can end up getting some on the disks or the transport could become "caulked" shut. However, after I tweaked to get it right, I haven't had to worry about that for over a year.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
I have a Tosh 2108 and I noticed the same thing. I was thinking about putting some eggcrate foam around the inside of the section of cabinet its in to possibly absorb the sound but it hasn't happened yet. I'll also look into the above solution, but I'm very reluctant to open up the player if that's involved.

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Here's an excerpt from another good link.
http://www.themorgue.org/audio/pioneer-dv525/
Chassis

I damped the lid of the unit with (if you can believe this) Armstrong 12''x12'' adhesive backed vinyl floor tiles from
your local Home Depot/Lowes for the bargain price of $0.59 per square foot. I cut a piece to fit the top of the lid
and the sides. You may want to use some additional glue or construction adhesive to affix the floor tile to the lid.
There have been reports of the original adhesive softening with heat. If you have a noisy transport mechanism, I
would also recommend gluing a couple of cork squares under the lid as well, directly over the transport. You can
also apply blue-tak or rope caulk to the transport mechanism and to places throughout the chassis wherever
there appears to be 'rininging' or a flexible surface.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Just had another thought on the issue... what about using spray Dynamat (or even the sheets) on the inside of the casing? That would be pretty simple, and should kill some of the noise getting out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks