What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (2 Viewers)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, I like to debate. Believe it or not, I’m not right fighting. I do change my mind, or at least expand my perception. It’s just not a popular thing these days.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Anyway, thanks for the help here. I’m late to the party, because I didn’t fully embrace streaming until recently. I’ve upgraded Arrival and the final two Hunger Games to 4K. I’m still a little in the dark regarding which titles I can upgrade iniTines, and which I can’t. I suspect it depends on the studio. For instance, Baby Driver was a no-go on iTunes.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
We seem to be getting a lot of these posts around this dark corner of HTF lately ;)
Up until 4 or 5 months ago, my internet was a staggering 35Mb/s and streaming wasn’t exactly great. I upgraded to 500Mb/s, but I’ve been busy. Now I see what streaming can be.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
This year I am limiting any digital purchases to ether older movies or really good deals as the rest of my available finances will go towards physical 4K UHD Blu-ray discs.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This year I am limiting any digital purchases to ether older movies or really good deals as the rest of my available finances will go towards physical 4K UHD Blu-ray discs.

I’ve been doing the opposite over the last year or so.

I have no interest in paying close to $30 per movie when when I can pay $10 or less for the same thing.

Also I just don’t want the stuff anymore.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I have no interest in paying close to $30 per movie when when I can pay $10 or less for the same thing.

I’m doing a lot of rentals too. For $5 or less, even if I want to see it again in the future, it’s often cheaper to rent it twice than buy it once. I’m realizing that for a lot of my viewing, it doesn’t make sense for me to buy something unless I’m 100% sure it’s going to be watched multiple times in the near future. Otherwise, it’s spending extra money today for something I may not use tomorrow.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I’m also veering much more toward digital. The only disc purchases I’m still making (mainly) are Warner Archive and Kino.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I watched Arrival in 4K DV using the code from my BR. It's not Atmos, like the disc, but it's free. That's a movie that really benefits from DV due to all the dark visuals.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
There are movies that will do that.

I think the Transformers movies are like that.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

I usually do not pay $30 for movies on disc and will buy ones on sale and usually only will pay top dollar for only for the ones I really want. But usually I focus on the discs on sale and I know if finances get bad enough I will not be able to watch anything digital if internet goes away because that will kill Disney + and Apple TV/iTunes. I have integrated digital into my entertainment but I can always pop in a disc but digital can go away when finances get bad. I have had good luck with my Apple TV and watching movies on that but when I really want best quality disc is still king and I own the disc and there is no ownership of digital. Yes digital is convenient and it doesn't take up physical space like discs do and there is a place for it in my A/V set up. But I just do not want to put a focus on something that can go away and where I end up loosing a bigger chunk of my library if things get bad. For me disc is mostly important movies that I want best quality playback and digital is more for deals on movies I will not watch over and over a lot and need ultra quality on. Not to say there is not good quality especially with the Dolby Vision content but that is just my opinion.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I usually do not pay $30 for movies on disc and will buy ones on sale and usually only will pay top dollar for only for the ones I really want. But usually I focus on the discs on sale and I know if finances get bad enough I will not be able to watch anything digital if internet goes away because that will kill Disney + and Apple TV/iTunes. I have integrated digital into my entertainment but I can always pop in a disc but digital can go away when finances get bad. I have had good luck with my Apple TV and watching movies on that but when I really want best quality disc is still king and I own the disc and there is no ownership of digital. Yes digital is convenient and it doesn't take up physical space like discs do and there is a place for it in my A/V set up. But I just do not want to put a focus on something that can go away and where I end up loosing a bigger chunk of my library if things get bad.
It’s your money dude. We all have different priorities on what to do with ours. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks