What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (2 Viewers)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Wow, I’ve never watched it. Only a few individual episodes. I got the DVD set years ago, but a bunch of the discs are garbage. I guess now is the time.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Wow, I’ve never watched it. Only a few individual episodes. I got the DVD set years ago, but a bunch of the discs are garbage. I guess now is the time.

Especially since they did a remastering of the series since the days of DVD. They look great...

Now if they can please release Millennium digitally I'd be happy!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Especially since they did a remastering of the series since the days of DVD. They look great...
I profoundly dislike this whole thing of converting 4:3 shows to 16:9, but I guess that's life. The DVDs look like crap, so I guess I'll live with it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Have only the dvd for Another Teen Movie, haven’t watched it in over a decade, it includes the unrated cut.
It’s been in my wish list at Cheap Sharts for a minute.
I should probably buy it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Man, I remember thinking that $150 for the complete series Blu-ray set was a great deal in like 2015 or 2016 and try as I did, I have yet to get further than midway through season 2. I wish I would have passed on the physical as this digital version makes more sense at the price point given my more limited interest in revisiting the show. I’m not sure if it didn’t hold up or if I’m just in a different place now in terms of what I want when it comes to TV.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
The X-Files Seasons 1-11 is on sale for $24.99 on iTunes.
Just wanted to say thanks for the heads up. I’d been waiting for the price to drop on VUDU (where I prefer my TV purchases to live), but $25 is just nuts as a price for all 11 seasons. I’ve had the DVD sets since they were released (and they were not cheap), but have wanted an easy way to watch the better quality versions. I know the show is on Hulu right now to stream, but it would be just my luck that I embark on a rewatch of the entire run and it gets pulled while I’m on season five :).

Anyway, appreciate you posting that insane price!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I believe they were shot with 16:9 in mind.
It wasn't. They slightly crop the first three years to 16:9 and S4 to 9 were shot 16:9 but there's empty space on the sides of the frames for the entire episode so they certainly did not compose the show for 16:9. That being said, the extra space on the sides of the later seasons isn't a problem and even the minimal cropping isn't a detriment to the early episodes (you'd need a photographic memory of them to spot it).

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
It wasn't. They slightly crop the first three years to 16:9 and S4 to 9 were shot 16:9 but there's empty space on the sides of the frames for the entire episode so they certainly did not compose the show for 16:9.

The man who shot the show during those first few seasons, John Bartley, has said in many interviews that they purposely shot on Super 35 and "protected for 16:9" because they knew Fox was going to make the switch.

They composed the shots for 16:9, making sure the main action was in the 4:3 area, then cropped the image in post production for 4:3 TV.

As Tino said, it was absolutely shot with 16:9 in mind.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The man who shot the show during those first few seasons, John Bartley, has said in many interviews that they purposely shot on Super 35 and "protected for 16:9" because they knew Fox was going to make the switch.

They composed the shots for 16:9, making sure the main action was in the 4:3 area, then cropped the image in post production for 4:3 TV.

As Tino said, it was absolutely shot with 16:9 in mind.
Someone better let Bartley know that the first two seasons (I said first three years earlier, my apologies) are definitely cropped to 16:9 on Blu-ray then. The top and bottom is slightly cropped and the sides are opened up a little bit to achieve a 16:9 frame. Yes, they protected S3 to S9 for 16:9 but that extra space adds no real information to any of the shots. Everything in the shots are in the middle of the 16x9 frame because they knew the show would only be seen in 4x3 when it first aired. I don't think any of that takes away from the show or the compositions (even the cropping in S1 and S2 isn't bad) but they definitely weren't composing their shots for 16x9 more than a decade before HDTV took over.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Is the X-Files deal dead? Clicking on the link at Blu-ray dot com opens my Apple MUSIC app, and it gives me an "Item not available" error. If I search for the show in the TV app it only shows individual seasons for sale, not the 1-11 for $24.99 deal. ???

EDIT: I had to buy it through the iTunes app on my phone. I was completely unable to do so via the TV app in macOS. Lame.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is the X-Files deal dead? Clicking on the link at Blu-ray dot com opens my Apple MUSIC app, and it gives me an "Item not available" error. If I search for the show in the TV app it only shows individual seasons for sale, not the 1-11 for $24.99 deal. ???

EDIT: I had to buy it through the iTunes app on my phone. I was completely unable to do so via the TV app in macOS. Lame.
I think people need to use the following link more often.

https://www.cheapcharts.info/us/itunes/seasons/on-sale

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think people need to use the following link more often.

https://www.cheapcharts.info/us/itunes/seasons/on-sale

On a Mac, Cheapcarts does the same thing Blu-ray dot com's listings do Robert - the link they provide opens the macOS Apple Music app, which is unable to find the item. The TV app also doesn't find the Seasons 1-11 bundle. As I said, the only way I was able to locate the deal and make the purchase was via the iTunes app on my phone. Something's broken here.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On a Mac, Cheapcarts does the same thing Blu-ray dot com's listings do Robert - the link they provide opens the macOS Apple Music app, which is unable to find the item. The TV app also doesn't find the Seasons 1-11 bundle. As I said, the only way I was able to locate the deal and make the purchase was via the iTunes app on my phone. Something's broken here.
Can't you open the iTunes app on your Mac?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

Yeah, that's interesting. The TV app doesn't have it at all, but the iTunes Store app does.

I'm calling Mulder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks