Digital Movie/TV Deals

JohnRice

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from here. We're 30 miles from Wyoming, where civilization goes to die. The city is 150,000+, growing way too fast. 60 miles from Denver.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t have data caps from Spectrum and I’m on their lowest tier plan. In the past I’ve had Verizon, RCN and Cablevision and no caps there either.

JohnRice

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, so you're all telling me something I already knew. Comcast sucks. Up to now, it's been the only game in town, other than DSL, which sucks even worse. I can't wait to dump them.

I checked our Municipal internet. Basic plan is $60/month, 1Gb/s, no data caps. What I didn't realize is that they're going to offer TV and phone as well. Comcast has been ripping us off around here for decades, now they get to pay for it.

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
It seems there are several people here who do a lot of streaming. I'm guessing several of you have internet from Comcast, which has a monthly limit of 1TB before they start charging some outrageous fees ($10/50GB) for going over. Does anyone run into a lot of extra fees? I kicked back and streamed a lot of 4K this past weekend, and just on Saturday and Sunday I used 100GB. That's 1/10 of the monthly allotment in two days, so it seems like it could be pretty easy to go over. That 1TB limit seemed almost unreachable before there was so much 4K to stream. Now it seems like it's more realistic to hit.
I have Comcast Xfinity, and I am usually somewhere between 250GB and 400GB of data per month. There is only my wife and me, and I am the person who does most of the streaming. The only time I ever went over the 1TB limit was when I switched my online data backup service and used about 1.4TB for the month with the initial backup. Comcast gives you two free monthly overages, though, so that one incident didn't cost me anything.

I do need to research my alternatives, as Comcast pissed me off when they removed TCM from my service and moved it to a higher tier back in October. We do have fiber optic service from AT&T and Wide Open West running through our back yard, so there are other options for us. I just haven't had the time to look into it.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is just surprising to hear.

There has been a push to move this country to 5G and we can't even offer decent Internet to many Americans.

JohnRice

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Comcast pissed me off when they removed TCM from my service and moved it to a higher tier back in October.
That was rotten, even for Comcast. They moved TCM to an add-on SPORTS package at $10/month. My folks are being fleeced for $275/month for SD TV, (35Gb/s!!!) Internet and VoIP. Once our full municipal replacement reaches their house, Comcast is getting shit-canned.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is just surprising to hear.

There has been a push to move this country to 5G and we can't even offer decent Internet to many Americans.
Its a problem. What probably needs to happen is for government to step in and reclassify it as a utility and regulate it as such. It’s become so vital for so many basic tasks for so many people in so many places that it can’t really be considered a luxury item like cable TV anymore. There are plenty of employers, for instance, that will now only accept job applications online, no more applying in person or mailing in an application. My feeling is that if you need the internet just to be able to apply for a job, it should be made available to everyone in the way electricity and water are.

I’d also like to see content providers doing more to push internet service providers in the right direction. All of these major studios launching streaming services need their customer base to have internet for their business plans to work. It’s in their own interests to advocate for their customers in that way.

JohnRice

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Its a problem. What probably needs to happen is for government to step in and reclassify it as a utility
That's basically what we did, but rather than waiting for the government to do it, which will NEVER happen, we did it ourselves by election. The next town over did it as well. In fact, their garbage collection has been municipal for decades. You wouldn't believe the millions of $ that came in to fight this issue. Basically not one cent in favor of it. Fortunately enough people knew how important it is and it passed fairly easily. I'm probably treading a fine line, rules wise, so I guess I'll leave it there.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Real Name
Tony D.
That was rotten, even for Comcast. They moved TCM to an add-on SPORTS package at $10/month. My folks are being fleeced for $275/month for SD TV, (35Gb/s!!!) Internet and VoIP. Once our full municipal replacement reaches their house, Comcast is getting shit-canned.

Ya they did this about 6 months ago.
I brought it up in here, on twitter and a few other places. Most either don’t care, didn’t notice or already pay it because they pay they extra 10 for the nfl RedZone.

comcost never responded to any of my complaints

Mark-P

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It seems there are several people here who do a lot of streaming. I'm guessing several of you have internet from Comcast, which has a monthly limit of 1TB before they start charging some outrageous fees ($10/50GB) for going over. Does anyone run into a lot of extra fees? I kicked back and streamed a lot of 4K this past weekend, and just on Saturday and Sunday I used 100GB. That's 1/10 of the monthly allotment in two days, so it seems like it could be pretty easy to go over. That 1TB limit seemed almost unreachable before there was so much 4K to stream. Now it seems like it's more realistic to hit.
I used to worry about that when I first got my 4K streaming box. I thought for sure I'd go over my 1 terabyte cap. But I've never even used HALF the allotment in any given month. I suppose that people who binge 4K material could do it. When you consider that HD streaming uses roughly 2 gigs per hour and 4K roughly 8 gigs per hour, you would have to watch 16 hours per day of HD or 4 hours a day of 4K to use it all.

Reactions: Scott Merryfield

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Man, looks like a pretty thin 4K Tuesday on iTunes.

Is 4k Tuesday a real thing? Are Tuesdays usually the day that a wealth of 4k deals drop?

While I am here...

One of the Die Hard movies was cut. I think in order to get a PG rating over R? It may have been the third movie. Is the uncut version included in the DIE HARD bundle?

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
One of the Die Hard movies was cut. I think in order to get a PG rating over R? It may have been the third movie. Is the uncut version included in the DIE HARD bundle?
"Live Free or Die Hard" - I don't own it but iTunes lets you poke around the extras of titles you don't own and it has "unrated version" listed as an extra.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mansibtani