1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Digital Movie/TV Deals

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Sam Posten, Feb 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Message #1341 of 2067 Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Cinematographer

Amazon has had it for $9.99...

DB61A361-4C60-4EB6-8155-7978D1CD5774.

2. Message #1342 of 2067 Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I am doing the exact same thing. In my case, my ceiling is $9.99 for a 4K streaming title and $4.99 for an HD title. I will bump that ceiling slightly by one or two bucks for HD titles that have been announced but not released yet on 4K, taking advantage of Apple's free upgrade policy on iTunes.

As for Joker, I picked it up through Fandango Now for $9.99 back in early December, but still have not watched it. My mother has been staying with us since my father passed away a week before Christmas, and I'm not sure it's a film she would enjoy. It may be another month before I get to watch it, as we are in the process of moving her from rural northern Michigan 180 miles away to a condo about 6 miles from us.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Of course, I was talking about iTunes and Vudu. I rarely use Amazon for such purchases. TBH, I rarely use Amazon for many things now as I find them and their business practices anti-consumer.

Tino and Jesse Skeen like this.
  4. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Scott,

My belated condolences for your loss.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  5. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Scott, I am so sorry for your loss.

And I think that’s probably a good call regarding the film not being the best choice for the moment. Though rest assured, you can’t make a worse choice than my father watching “Magnolia” with my grandmother right after my grandfather passed...of all the DVDs to have pulled off my shelf to pass the time, that had to have been the worst possible choice for the moment.

Todd Erwin and Scott Merryfield like this.
  6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

There have been a number of times where I paid release date prices for something, only to kick myself months later when I saw it on sale for a third of the price I paid, with my copy still sitting in the shrink wrap.

I've gotten to the point where I try not to allow my purchases to exceed my watch rate by too much.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert
    The number of discs I bought that I haven't opened before the next Christmas season is staggering then to see that disc on sale for much less of the price I paid for it earlier that year. Patience and discipline is required, but so is the need to watch other and in some cases more deserving titles already in my film library.

8. Cranston37

Oh yes, that reminds me of the time at work when my boss and a co-worker made this agreement that they each had to bring in a movie that the other had to watch. He brought in for her "Dr. Strangelove," and she brought in for him "The Notebook."

As he was walking out the door with it somebody said to me "you know his parents are in a home dying of Alzheimer's, right?"

9. Cranston37

One thing that was brought up a few posts back and I just wanted to make sure those who might be newish to digital buying knew, especially @Ronald Epstein who I know uses the Cheap Charts app...

Just know that the Cheap Charts iOS app only searches iTunes deals. Their website on the other hand searches iTunes, Vudu, and Amazon.

You don't want to miss out on deals other stores are having when the purchase will import to your iTunes account via MA...

10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Thank you for that information. I had no idea.

I suppose what I will do from now on is just check Cheap Charts on the web rather than the iOS app daily.

Appreciate that "heads up"

Cranston37 likes this.
  11. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    The Movies Anywhere website is another good resource for deals. Much like the movie store on Apple TV, it has categories like Daily Deals, $5 and Under, and $10 and Under on the Deals tab from the Explore page, and they are deals across all MA partners.
    upload_2020-2-12_11-16-33.

Adam Lenhardt, Tino and dpippel like this.
  12. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Keep an eye on Paramount titles as more of them are being upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision. Latest example is "Fatal Attraction". I knew I should have bought that HD digital from iTunes for $4.99 back in December. I missed opportunity by me as the pricing is now $14.99.

13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The biggest thing that holds me back from Paramount is the lack of MA support. I feel more comfortable when I have my digital copies at three or four retailers, rather than being locked into just one.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  14. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I’m only willing to do Paramount titles at the $4.99 price point and only on iTunes.

dpippel, Tino and Scott Merryfield like this.
  15. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Just in time for Valentine's Day! Not a favorite, but gotta love Paramount for their 4K efforts in the streaming world. I have no qualms about picking up Paramount titles on iTunes when they are on sale. I can't say the same for Warner because they save all the good stuff for their Archive Blu-ray releases.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  16. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I will buy Paramount, MGM or Lionsgate titles on iTunes. Not so any longer on Vudu.

Tino and Cranston37 like this.
  17. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    It seems there are several people here who do a lot of streaming. I'm guessing several of you have internet from Comcast, which has a monthly limit of 1TB before they start charging some outrageous fees ($10/50GB) for going over. Does anyone run into a lot of extra fees? I kicked back and streamed a lot of 4K this past weekend, and just on Saturday and Sunday I used 100GB. That's 1/10 of the monthly allotment in two days, so it seems like it could be pretty easy to go over. That 1TB limit seemed almost unreachable before there was so much 4K to stream. Now it seems like it's more realistic to hit.

18. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Whoa...what?!

I guess I have been reaping the benefits of living in the NYC Metro Area.

And I am just beginning to learn the harsh realities of those who don't live near major cities.

It was bad enough the story I read from one of our members who says he has to use his cellular service to stream movies.

However, cable companies giving you a data cap on Internet streaming?

As far as I know, most major cities and suburbs have unlimited Internet usage offered by their cable company. That service is based upon Internet speed tiers. You can be at the bottom with 15mbps or be like myself who has the top-tier offered by Verizon at 920mbps.

...and some members here probably have access to faster speeds but I don't think it's being offered by the cable company.

19. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    We recently passed Municipal internet, and it has already led to some major changes. It will take another couple years for the infrastructure to be completed and I haven't checked to see if there's an estimate on when I can get it at home. However, yeah, those of us outside major metro areas get screwed. Prior to the Municipal internet being passed, I was paying $80/month for 75Gb/s. I checked deals and upgraded to 500 Gb/s for $60/month. Still, the 1TB limit is there, and I was under the impression that was a national thing with Comcast.

Competition is a good thing. Our Municipal internet has speeds up to 10Gb/s. I haven't checked int data limits.

20. Message #1360 of 2067 Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Cranston37

In my decent size area (18mi from downtown Minneapolis) I don't have any data caps (middle tier service). Not on Comcast, though...