What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (6 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Though not as good as the last one, another major iTunes sale is happening with each passing hour, more titles continue propagate to lower pricing.
Yes, the pricing wasn't as good as last year, but I still ended buying many titles. I took in consideration the pricing history for every title that I purchased. In general, if this Christmas sale pricing was the lowest ever for that movie title and I wanted that movie, I usually ended purchasing it.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Wow. Great prices. Tempted to pick up some of these $4.99 iTunes deals...especially Unforgiven in 4K. Haven't seen it in 20 years.

But with so much content at my fingertips - through streaming subscriptions and a large disc collection - I find myself buying less and less and less.

It's like these digital copies are ready to go on my virtual bookshelf. Unless I need to watch a film "right now" - at least today or tomorrow - I feel I should just wait until I need to see it and buy it then. Rather than tying up cash for months. The option to buy it will be there later, because all these films seem to stay there on the virtual bookshelf.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I find I’ve done the same - I used to buy things reflexively when the price was good, and then plan on getting to it later, but my pile of un-gotten-to things grew so large that whatever savings I had gotten by buying on sale were obliterated by how much stuff I had but hadn’t touched. So now I generally only buy when it’s something I’m in the mood to watch, and if I pay slightly more then, it’s still better for me in the long run to buy one movie for more than to buy three or four for cheap but maybe not see any of them. But that was a hard lesson to learn.

That said there are a few things that will always trigger a buy, logic be damned. I know I love those early John Wayne b-movies that run only an hour or an hour and a half at most, and I’ll gladly grab those when they’re on sale because I always do get to those.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The only film I picked up from this last sale was Royal Wedding. Like Josh and David, I have too much unwatched content to continue picking up stuff just because it's on sale unless it really interests me.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Between the two iTunes sales (December 20th and 24th) I ended up picking up 25 titles. It has been a ridiculous month of spending for me. In addition to iTunes, I also participated in sales from Twilight Time, Kino, Warner Archive, and Criterion. It is seriously time for me to stop for a while!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Between the two iTunes sales (December 20th and 24th) I ended up picking up 25 titles. It has been a ridiculous month of spending for me. In addition to iTunes, I also participated in sales from Twilight Time, Kino, Warner Archive, and Criterion. It is seriously time for me to stop for a while!
I can't. Must seriously consider joining Moviecollecting Anonymous! (MA).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Some good movies that have only been released on DVD. The Station Agent and One False Move for starters.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
When I saw Apocalypse Now Final Cut 4K for $4.99 that’s all I could think of is back in the day that would have been a $99 laserdisc in a big box and you’d have to get up about 4 times during it to flip the disc over.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some good movies that have only been released on DVD. The Station Agent and One False Move for starters.
Yup, I picked up the following movies:

The Station Agent
Children of a Lesser God
Dead Man Walking
To Die For
Iron Monkey
The Prince of Tides

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yup, I picked up the following movies:

The Station Agent
Children of a Lesser God
Dead Man Walking
To Die For
Iron Monkey
The Prince of Tides
I didn't see To Die For. I guess that will probably be on my list when I get home.

You all suck, BTW. Like I need more movies. :excl:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yeah, I needed to spend more money on movies like I need a hole in the head, but I ended up buying Jackie Brown, Gattaca, Shaft, The Dead Zone, Amadeus, Sixteen Candles, Carol, and American Psycho, all for $5 each. Too good a deal to pass up. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks