What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Only if you purchased it on iTunes.

There would be no other way for you to have it on iTunes. Since it's not a MA title, there would be no way for a purchase made somewhere else to port in...

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
There would be no other way for you to have it on iTunes. Since it's not a MA title, there would be no way for a purchase made somewhere else to port in...
Good point. Strangely Apocalypse Now theatrical is still HD in my library. However as part of the Final Cut extras, it’s 4K. Hmmm

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Apocalypse Now theatrical is still HD in my library. However as part of the Final Cut extras, it’s 4K. Hmmm
Did you buy the theatrical cut on iTunes or was it a Vudu disc to digital? I checked my DVD Profiler history and I purchased the Redux and theatrical separately on iTunes for $4.99 each back in 2018.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
This is how Redux appears for me in Vudu. I still only own it in HDX but it looks like 4K/Dolby Vision available.

B7C1C116-6488-43CB-9E08-239C2DFE9EB7.jpeg

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
True, but I was thinking there was probably never a code for that title and since it's not MA, I couldn't think of any other way one would own it on iTunes.
Yup as Cranston pointed out. I dunno how I acquired it but apparently the standalone version of AN is still only HD.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
True Lies is now available in HD via Vudu's M2D program. It's clearly an older scan but it's substantially better than any physical release so far (although it might be on par with the D-VHS release). It was totally worth the $5 to me.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
True Lies is now available in HD via Vudu's M2D program. It's clearly an older scan but it's substantially better than any physical release so far (although it might be on par with the D-VHS release). It was totally worth the $5 to me.

It has been for a long time. The Abyss used to be as well but not sure if it still is...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Theatrical version of Last of the Mohicans is up on Vudu’s d2d thing now.
It’s on dvd quality but at least it’s an option now.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
True Lies was on there a few years ago but got pulled at some point. It was re-added last week. The Abyss was added also, but only in SD.

BTW Jeff - when I said earlier that these titles have been on there a long time, then you said they got re-added last week - I think what led to some confusion on my part is that while they were on Disc to Digital years ago, they have been newly added to MOBILE Disc to Digital, which is what you said...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They all do.

You buy a disc, it plays in any player. It needs to be that you buy a movie digitally, it plays on any storefront or device.

It should not be the consumer’s responsibility to remember which studio owns which movie, and on top of that, which studio works with which service.

When purchasing a thing legally becomes more inconvenient than piracy, piracy will step in and win. And if people feel they have legitimate reasons not to pay for the stuff they watch, the whole ecosystem implodes.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
They all do.

You buy a disc, it plays in any player. It needs to be that you buy a movie digitally, it plays on any storefront or device.

It should not be the consumer’s responsibility to remember which studio owns which movie, and on top of that, which studio works with which service.

When purchasing a thing legally becomes more inconvenient than piracy, piracy will step in and win. And if people feel they have legitimate reasons not to pay for the stuff they watch, the whole ecosystem implodes.

My fear is they are moving their attention away from not just physical media but SELLING media. I think subscriptions are more important to them now.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My fear is they are moving their attention away from not just physical media but SELLING media. I think subscriptions are more important to them now.

I don’t think the studios are moving away from selling media so much as it is that the audience is moving away from a la carte pricing.

If you’re an average customer whose life doesn’t rotate around all things movies, just a regular viewer looking for something new to watch a couple times a week, what’s the better deal: paying $5 to rent a movie once or $20 to own it, or paying $10 a month to pick between unlimited views of thousands of potential choices? Now, keep in mind that that $5 rental/$20 purchase will show up on that unlimited service if you wait a few extra weeks. What makes more sense for getting the most out of your dollars?

It may also be a chicken and egg thing where there’s never an answer for whose driving what. But I think the move to subscriptions is as much a response to consumer preference as anything else.

If average consumers cared more about a la carte selection than subscriptions, there wouldn’t be a cottage industry of websites and articles dedicated to what movies and shows are leaving what service and when. That people actually freak out when a movie leaves Netflix (but remains readily available for rental and purchase on all digital storefronts) suggests to me that many people are no longer open to paying for individual titles in a majority of the cases.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
About 40 titles showed up as recently added to my iTunes library. All of them had been a part of my iTunes library prior today. Anybody else have any such incidents today?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
About 40 titles showed up as recently added to my iTunes library. All of them had been a part of my iTunes library prior today. Anybody else have any such incidents today?

Nothing for me but I have had it happen occasionally

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks