What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
What Criterion titles did you guys pick up?
Just answering the question, not making recommendations as these were all blind-buys for me, many of which have been on my Criterion wishlist for 10 years and I’ve never been willing to pay Blu-ray prices for them.

Detour
The Last Emperor
The Naked City
The Piano Teacher
Pickpocket
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Rules of the Game
The Tin Drum
Umberto D.
Wings of Desire

One note on Last Emperor, it is of course the wrong AR. I have the Italian 3D Blu-ray which is the correct ratio, but looks terrible when playing back in 2D as it has been artificially manipulated for the 3D conversion. At some point I expect Criterion will revisit the title and update the file with the correct ratio.

And one last note I also picked up two titles that Criterion put out on Blu-ray but streaming rights are through other studios. For Heaven Can Wait (1943), the version on Movies Anywhere app is the same 4K restoration as the Criterion Blu-ray (same restoration credit preceding the movie) and for The Awful Truth the version on the Movies Anywhere app also appears restored (no [fewer] specks and scratches which [than] are present on iTunes and Vudu) so it likely is also the same transfer used by Criterion. [see edit]

Edit: I've done a comparison of The Awful Truth screencaps from the Criterion Blu-ray to the Movies Anywhere digital version, and can confirm that it's not the same transfer as framing is slightly different. All I can say is that the version on Movies Anywhere is cleaner than the transfer on iTunes or Vudu but not the pristine version on the Criterion Blu-ray.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I went a little crazy

Criterion
The Red Shoes
Vampyr
Eraserhead
Stalker
Solaris
M
Breathless
Repulsion
The Wages of Fear
Battle Royale
Shock Corridor
Breaking the Waves
Eyes Without a Face
Lord of the Flies
Beauty and the Beast
The Tin Drum
Oliver Twist
Throne of Blood
The Hidden Fortress

Not Criterion
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Moon
I Saw the Devil
Pale Rider
Incendies
The Pianist
Little Children
Nosferatu

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I grabbed some Criterions:

In the Heat of the Night
Time Bandits
Picnic at Hanging Rock

Great sale!

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc

You know all these movies better than I do (though I own the most notable ones) so I am always looking for recommendations. And, though they are only $4.99, I would really love to know the cream-of-the-crop titles worth owning out of those offerings as I am certain I could go hog-wild with purchases today.
Black Narcissus, Black Orpheus

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I wish thier more mainstream movies were part of these sales. I guess they don’t have digital rights to them.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm not a Criterion guy (sorry!!!)...

Alien Resurrection (HD $4.99)
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (HD $4.99)
Children of Men (HD $4.99)
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (4k $4.99)
Chicago (HD $4.99)
Hairspray (HD $4.99)

Got a lot more on my list, but not sure I'm getting them this week (Secretariat, Rocketman, Network, To Kill a Mockingbird, Tootsie, All the President's Men, King Kong, Michael Clayton, The Assassination of Jesse James..., Syriana, District 9, Hoosiers).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
In case anyone's wondering, I just noticed and verified that the Deep Red 4K on iTunes, which is currently on sale again (along w/ a bunch of other Arrow digitals), has apparently finally been corrected to include the proper, restored, longer international cut (w/ Italian track) and apparently in 4K as an extra alternate version -- you have to look for it under extra features, so I guess you'll need an Apple device/computer (or at least something like iTunes for Windoze, which I did also check) to access, not just AppleTV app on non-Apple streaming device.

_Man_

PS: Guess I'll add this post to the other thread as well since it's relevant to 4K iTunes upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks